Focusing in the dark...

TheGreatGonzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took the following shots at about 9:30 at night with very little ambient light. I could barely see what I was shooting at. Obviously I was using a very slow shutter speed and since I did not have a tripod, I was having to handhold the camera while bracing on a seawall rail. Because all I could see when shooting was a very dark outline, I was not able to focus much at all. Is there a solution to this? I considered shining a flashlight on the dock to light it up, then focusing, then extinguishing the light before opening the shutter. I'm very new at all this and would appreciate any advice on focusing in the dark.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

These were about the only real source of artificial light that was close by.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Thanks,
Gonzo

Auto focus needs contrast to work. No contrast, no auto focus. It's mentioned in the users manual, along with other situatiions where auto focus offers only limited perforamance.

So yes, shining a light on the dock might have created enough contrast the camera can auto focus.

Autofocus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Auto focus needs contrast to work. No contrast, no auto focus. It's mentioned in the users manual, along with other situatiions where auto focus offers only limited perforamance.

So yes, shining a light on the dock might have created enough contrast the camera can auto focus.

Autofocus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Keith,
I was using manual focus, not autofocus. I kind of figured autofocus would be pointless since there was no contrast, which is why I had the camera set to manual.
Thanks,
Gonzo

You didn't mention that in post #1, but using a flashlight would also help you to manually focus.

I don't trust my eyes to focus at night, flash light or not. What I probably would have tried is to zoom out a little wider and put one of my focus points on the pole holding the light at the end of the pier. There may have been enough there for it to find focus. If not, one of the ripples in the water reflecting light usually works if you're patient. Then crop to get the composition you have now in post.

What I probably would have tried is to zoom out a little wider and put one of my focus points on the pole holding the light at the end of the pier.

Be careful with this technique, some zooms loose focus when you change the focal length.

No, sorry I mean shoot it wider then crop it after. I'm not a fan of focus/recompose.

I don't trust my eyes to focus at night, flash light or not. What I probably would have tried is to zoom out a little wider and put one of my focus points on the pole holding the light at the end of the pier. There may have been enough there for it to find focus. If not, one of the ripples in the water reflecting light usually works if you're patient. Then crop to get the composition you have now in post.

Thanks. I'll give that a try and see how it works for me.

You didn't mention that in post #1, but using a flashlight would also help you to manually focus.

Yep. I'm trying to avoid shooting on auto mode while I'm learning. I want to learn the mechanics of the camera. I considered the flashlight (and I had a small one in my pocket). I wish, in retrospect, that I had given that a try.

Mate you seriously need a tripod. Also pic 1# and 2# are a little too central...IMHO...

I have a tripod (a fairly decent one, I think), I simply did not have it with me. I have started carrying my camera with me everywhere, but I don't always have the tripod. In this case, I did not, so I had to rely on handhold. Given how long I had to keep the shutter open in the dark, I rather guessed it would be almost impossible to get sharp pictures with a handhold, but I wanted to give it a try. I'm trying to experiment as much as possible while I learn. I figure it is the only way I'm going to learn. Besides, I just love taking the photos and seeing the results. I agree on #1 and #2, but in the pitch dark, I was worrying more about my focus than my composition at the time. I reckon I should crop them at the bottom now.

I greatly appreciate all the replies and input.
Gonzo

Most reactions

Back