Focusing Question

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm working with my 50mm lens and am a bit confused. Here is my problem.

I can use this lens in auto mode and it beeps when focused. I can use it with flash off-auto mode and it focuses. I can take those SAME settings and put it in tv or av or m and the camera lens just keeps making those clicky noises and I never get the beep and 90% of the photos seem oof.

Is it most likely my dof?

Something's mixed up here.

The exposure mode that you're in (M, Tv, Av, P, Auto etc) does not affect the focus. Well, in full auto (green box) the camera may lock the focus mode, but focus and exposure are still different issues.

One issue may be the focus mode that you're using. If you are using 'Single shot' mode (AF-S), the camera will try to focus and then stop/lock the focus. In this mode, the AF assist light should be active (maybe only if you have an accessory flash). If you are in moving subject mode (AI Servo or AF-C), then the AF won't stop & lock, it may not beep either, but the AF assist light won't activate.

Are you trying to focus and recompose? When using a wide-aperture lens, the DOF can be very shallow. So if you focus and then move the camera even slightly, the focus may be off.

Also, when you're saying that the photos seem OOF...are they truly OOF, or could it be blur from camera shake or subject movement (because the shutter speed was too slow).

Yea I dunno why I even thought exposure modes made a difference I just saw a difference.

Now that you mentioned it! I went to my camera right now and took at look at what my settings were. In full auto it IS Al Focus. So that is why it does beep when it is in focus! The setting I have it in in M, TV, or AV is Al Servo b/c I am trying to do continous shooting trying to capture that ONE pic of a 2 yr old. It must be my shutter speed, myself moving a hair getting excited for the picture when gav does smile and maybe Gavin moving a hair also. My only problem is I notice this primarily when I am using my 50mm. Yea I have blur and oof with my other lens but honestly I get it 90% of the time using my 50mm. But thinking about it it has to be the exposure some how. I'm just gonna keep plugging along and trying.

Your other lens is a kit lens? Does it have IS? Sounds like a shutter speed/camera shake problem...

Yea my other lens are the kit lens's. My winter project is learning that 50mm better. I don't know why I'm struggling tho lol. I have been working on exposure much more and I think with my flash off in the setting I'm using it in to keep perfect exposure my shutter speed is lower. But it's not super low either. Im at work right now and I know in the last 2 days it varied from 1/60 to 1/120.

Most reactions

Back