Focusing Ruler Test Horrible

cjdesu6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi I recently took a shot with a ruler setup (picture). I took it with a variety of apertures and high shutter speed. They all look, well, horrible. I am using a D3200 with the 35mm 1.8G. Focusing was set to point and aimed at the 3.5 inch mark. What is going on. Thanks.

Looks like a combination of:

1) Super high ISO. High ISO levels increase noise.
2) You might have missed the focus a bit
3) There is motion blur.

My guess is you took this in a horribly dark dim hallway, and your shutter speed and ISO were both really extreme to get enough light, causing motion blur and noise.

What appears to be going on here is that you haven't got the foggiest idea what this test is supposed to accomplish. Go look up a picture for the test setup again. You should not be pointing the camera perpendicular to the ruler, the ruler and the lens should be almost parallel.

And use a tripod not hand held.It is important to do this test the right way or the test is meaningless.

Sorry for the confusion the test naming is purely coincidental (didn't know that test existed) I was just trying to show that the picture is not even close to being sharp. I was in a room with a windows open, low iso, shutter speed 100th of a second, made sure to focus on the ruler.

Last edited:
What aperture was the image in the post shot at?

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D3200
Lens: 35.0 mm f/1.8
Image Date: 2013-08-19 03:28:18 +0000
Focal Length: 35mm (35mm equivalent: 52mm)
Aperture: f/1.8
Exposure Time: 0.010 s (1/100)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: +1.00 EV
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Software: Ver.1.01

What aperture was the image in the post shot at?

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D3200
Lens: 35.0 mm f/1.8
Image Date: 2013-08-19 03:28:18 +0000
Focal Length: 35mm (35mm equivalent: 52mm)
Aperture: f/1.8
Exposure Time: 0.010 s (1/100)
ISO equiv: 200
Exposure Bias: +1.00 EV
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Software: Ver.1.01
How'd'ya do that Willis... I couldn't find any EXIF data.

How'd'ya do that Willis... I couldn't find any EXIF data.

Had to zoom in on the image on Flickr. Clicked the link, then clicked the image to zoom in, and finally got to a point where it would show it to me. I have no idea why Flickr hides it until we zoom in on the image, but they do.

Scott beat me too it, but here is how I done it to check what Scott posted.

Step 1. Buy a Mac. :mrgreen:

Step 2. Download Firefox

Step 3. Download an EXIF viewer plugin. (There are tons of them)

Step 4. Click on link.

Step 5. Right click on full size photo and select View image EXIF Data

Step 6. Read results.

Sorry there Iron. I just couldn't stop myself. :mrgreen:

I've got two different EXIF viewers installed on my computer and neither one could "see" the EXIF data, but I didn't bother zooming in either. One more reason NOT to use Flickr.

one thing I noticed the whole picture is OOF down to the floor.I dont see anything the camera locked on to at all.Unless it locked on the white wall somewhere but it's hard to tell.

I've got two different EXIF viewers installed on my computer and neither one could "see" the EXIF data, but I didn't bother zooming in either. One more reason NOT to use Flickr.

Same here. Until I zoomed in it wouldn't show me the EXIF data. Like Gryphonslair99 said, you got to get all the wy down to the "Original" size for some stupid reason and then it will show the data. There also appear to be some variants of Flickr accounts that won't show the EXIF data no matter what I do, and others that show it through one of their menus if you can find it. Like you said, one more reason not to use Flickr.

Most reactions

Back