Focusing

Ejazzle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I dont understand the whole split circle focusing stuff. If I look at only the circle, it looks perfectly clear. But the if i look around the circle, everything still looks OoF. So how do you know when its focused correctly?

I have a nikon FE

Use the split circle for critical focusing.
The prismed circle around it will go clear when it is in focus ... though if the focus screen is not very bright or the lens aperture is not very wide, it may appear mottled all the time.

A high quality etched screen will go clear with a bright lens.
I had a Canon nF-1 with a very high quality laser etched focus screen and the outer circle will be clear with a f/2.8 lens or brighter.

I stopped using the split focal long ago because I spent way too much time in lower light trying to line my up right so I could see through both halves. Try zeroing in. Focus past sharp focus a bit then focus back through it again then again a little less each time until you get dead on where you need your focus to be. One thing to be sure of. Take care of your eyes. Your eyes must be able to focus properly if you want any fine manual focusing to be successful. Good luck.

thanks for the help! still kind of confused on the whole circle thing though

Try getting used to it by focusing on vertical or horizontal lines against a contrasty back round. e.g. curtains on a bright day.

Put the center circle with the split line on your subject. If it's out of focus, the subject will be in two halves. Turn the focus ring on the lens until the 'split' image lines up into one solid image and it will be in focus. Compose the shot, press the shutter.

I don't really understand how it's confusing. It's no different from when you autofocus on a subject, only you're doing it yourself.

compare the images on this page of the bottles. The left side is OOF, the right is focused
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focusing_screen

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back