Focusing

gender bombs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
How do i get the entire photo to be in focus?. Whenever i want the whole subject to be in focus, a tiny portion will be blurry.

You need to use a smaller f-stop to increase the area of focus. i.e F32. But this will cause you to have to use a slower shutter speed, so a tripod may have to be used.

I set my aperture to f/22, and there are still portions that are out of focus. Why is this?

Focal length of the lens you're working with, and the distance from your subject will play a part, as well as the size of aperture you're working with...

If you're focusing on a very close subject with a long lens, then things further out will tend to look blurred, even at your smallest aperture.

Can you show us some examples? Your original description makes it sound like it's just that you're using a low f-number, but if this is happening on every shot and you're using f22 on some shots, perhaps something is wrong with your camera.

I have no examples to show you, soryr for that. It is happening on every shot, but it's okay. Only when i want the entire image to be in focus i get irritaed because Ive asked my other photography friends, and theyve all told me to set my aperture to its lowest number, and I do, and the entire frame is not in focus. Perhaps it is my camera?

gender bombs said:
I have no examples to show you, soryr for that. It is happening on every shot, but it's okay. Only when i want the entire image to be in focus i get irritaed because Ive asked my other photography friends, and theyve all told me to set my aperture to its lowest number, and I do, and the entire frame is not in focus. Perhaps it is my camera?

I'm sure you know already, but your smallest aperture is your largest number.

Yes, I do. Thanks though (Un-sarcastically). I didn't mean to say lowest number, I meant to say smallest aperture. Sorry for that.

some lenses simplify the hyperfocal distance adjusting by including the range - depending on aperture size (ex: f/16 = 16, 16 - 8 - 4 -|- 4 - 8 - 16), just below the focusing ring on the lens barrel

if not, the manual will tell... if not there, wiki up hyperfocal distance for the equation (just make sure to do the whole thing in feet or meters, but not both)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back