Fog & Snow

Sand_On_The_Breeze

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
A shot on a foggy day in the park. I wanted to accentuate the footprints leading into the fog. They didn't turn out all that well, but does the shot still work? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

winterfog1.jpg

This is a negative scan from Ilford XP2 Super.

The bottom is way overexposed. I like the trees with the fog, you may be able to crop off the bottom half of the pic and still have something nice. It seems to be divided right down the middle as well. I like what you were trying to do with the footprints, but the overexposure makes it hard to look at.

You might try darkening and upping the contrast a bit. The shadow/highlight tool in photoshop might yield some interesting results, too.

I spent about 2 minutes doing this...but just to give an idea.

well it works pretty well, because of what the title says it is a foggy day, and that is a very foggy shot, which makes it appear overexposed, but i think that max has done a pretty good job of creating more detail, food for thought!!

I like the highkey effect of the original. Try burning in locally the missing footprints. You could crop out the bottom (footprints...) and have a good minimalistic image. Or... you could cheat : cut away a band in the white area, move up and stitch the area with the visible footprints...

I like how darkening the image adds more detail to the footprints, but it seems to reduce the fog effect.

i think your original is very good. i see what the poster is trying to accomplish, but if the fog is what you're after, try selective adjustments.

Thats scene would be difficult to shoot, to cature the fog and the footprint. maybe next time you should bracket your shots next time to under expose and over expose to see what kinda results you would attain. With the current image you could use selectively use some conctrast adjustments to help accentuate the footprints

I'll have to remember to bracket next time. I'm still learning.

I've darkened it a little and tried burning in footprints a little. Here's what it looks like now:

winterfog1_2.jpg

Is this better than the original?

The top of the middle tree should have been in the picture and the footprints shouldn't be there. Either crop out the footprints or edit them out.

Hellashot said:
The top of the middle tree should have been in the picture and the footprints shouldn't be there. Either crop out the footprints or edit them out.

I agree about the top of the tree, but the footprints is what makes the picture! Definately leave them in the picture!

I like the original post. I would emphasize the footprints with a higher point of view, and possibly a shorter focal length, but of course, that means reshooting...

Although there isn't a lot of detail in the footprints in the first post, I think what is there helps balance the composition, and my eyes tend to follow them towards the trees, even if they aren't really there.

Most reactions

Back