Fogging inside lens

Corvus Marinus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello. Apologies if I'm not positing in the correct place.

I recently bought a Nikon D3300, my first DSLR. Along with it I ordered a new Nikon 35mm f/1.8G lens. My second time using this lens outdoors, it fogged up on the inside. I live in Mississippi at present, and it's rather hot and muggy out; I have been letting my lenses sit for a few minutes outside before use, to warm and reduce condensation. The lens fogged up a little when I began to use it, but I wiped it off immediately. However, my pictures were still blurry. I soon verified that the condensation was not on the outside of either end. I could see a film on the inside of the lens that goes into the camera body. I waited a couple minutes longer, and it slowly dissipated, and the lens was clear again. Still, it gave me concern that the humidity penetrated so easily.

Because I'm new to DSLRs, I'd like advice. Is this normal? Should I return the lens as defective? Or should I just stay aware that this can happen in the future? Please note that due to imminent travel plans, if I'm going to return it, it has to happen this week.

Thanks.

When moving between temperature extremes (especially in a humid environment) it is pretty common for condensation to form on the lens elements. Most lenses (including the really expensive ones) are actually not 100% sealed against dust/moisture. Keep your lenses in your camera bag (along with some desiccant packs) when you're not using them. The desiccant will help absorb any moisture in the lens which should help minimize the fogging issue.

Thanks for the help. I've been asking around, and the consensus is clear that this is an ordinary occurrence, easily dealt with, that need provoke no concern about the state of the lens.

There is a small door, usually located on the side which you can add some Rain-X.

But do not confuse it for the fabric softener port, which is usually a tiny cup on the back end that slides out.

Unfortunately, there is no fungicide receptacle. And all jokes aside, you should be a bit concerned about that, lens fungus is a real thing (google it). Silica gel packs in the camera bag are probably a good idea, if not placing the lens and camera into a plastic baggie along with them, removing your memory card before returning home so you can get to editing without having to wait around for things to warm up and dry out.

Last edited:
I have read of a trick, as well as tried it myself, of putting the lenses in zip-loc bags.
Try to remove as much of the air as possible from the bag during storage.
It's worth a try. It worked for me during my vacations to Florida.

Condensation occurs when you go from a lower temperature to a humid higher temperature.

In the summer that usually happens when going from inside to outside.
In the winter that usually happens when going from outside to inside.

As air temperature goes down, the less moisture air can hold.
At 100% humidity near 32° F the air holds a lot less moisture than the air holds in summer at 100% humidity @ 90°.

Most reactions

Back