Fold Camera

The general consensus seems to be that proffering information for the benefit of another party is frowned upon. Is vintage camera knowledge so prized that this is an acceptable attitude? I wouldn't mind but this forum thread has not been particularly helpful and it's a forum, participation is a choice. Should members find any monetary gain of mine an insult to their sensibilities; take recourse that their information will ensure adequate description of the camera and ownership by a suitable enthusiast.

The title of this forum is "Collector's Corner - A place to discuss the collection of classic cameras and related equipment."

Your purpose in posting here was something entirely different. Giving free advice to fellow enthusiasts is enjoyable. Doing the same for opportunists hoping to score a quick buck with the help of our knowledge gleaned over years or decades gets tiresome after a while.

Why don't you post your questions on a more appropriate forum such as eBay or other business-oriented forums? Just a suggestion.

The general consensus seems to be that proffering information for the benefit of another party is frowned upon. Is vintage camera knowledge so prized that this is an acceptable attitude? I wouldn't mind but this forum thread has not been particularly helpful and it's a forum, participation is a choice. Should members find any monetary gain of mine an insult to their sensibilities; take recourse that their information will ensure adequate description of the camera and ownership by a suitable enthusiast.

The title of this forum is "Collector's Corner - A place to discuss the collection of classic cameras and related equipment."

Your purpose in posting here was something entirely different. Giving free advice to fellow enthusiasts is enjoyable. Doing the same for opportunists hoping to score a quick buck with the help of our knowledge gleaned over years or decades gets tiresome after a while.

Why don't you post your questions on a more appropriate forum such as eBay or other business-oriented forums? Just a suggestion.

Compur,

I thought you'd left the thread, welcome back. If you'd seen my flickr sets you'd note that I had 'collected' a Kodak Retina, Dacora Dignette, Zeiss Icon Box Tengor and the fold camera. Though indeed, I won't be a collector for long as I intend to sell them rather than let them gather dust in the garage. Making a 'quick buck' is just as important to me as knowing they'll go to a suitable home though we considered keeping the fold camera as it is rather impressive.

If there are forum rules preventing threads such as these please point them out. If not may I suggest you write some, you strike me as the type of chap who might enjoy such an exercise. As for threads being tiresome, all you've contributed here is a good moan, if that makes you bored then I suggest you avoid it in future.

Compur,

I thought you'd left the thread, welcome back. If you'd seen my flickr sets you'd note that I had 'collected' a Kodak Retina, Dacora Dignette, Zeiss Icon Box Tengor and the fold camera. Though indeed, I won't be a collector for long as I intend to sell them rather than let them gather dust in the garage. Making a 'quick buck' is just as important to me as knowing they'll go to a suitable home though we considered keeping the fold camera as it is rather impressive.

If there are forum rules preventing threads such as these please point them out. If not may I suggest you write some, you strike me as the type of chap who might enjoy such an exercise. As for threads being tiresome, all you've contributed here is a good moan, if that makes you bored then I suggest you avoid it in future.

Sorry guy but you seemed to have missed the part that it's not so much about you.

People come through here weekly, it seems, looking to sell off their grandfather's prized camera as soon as they can and for as much as they can -which is their right if they are the current owner- without a care about the object or the place it held in their (supposed) loved one's life.

Occasionally we get the chortlers who've managed to buy or have been given a (they hope) valuable camera from someone at a very low price and want us to tell them they're now rich.

To us this is much the same as finding or being given a valuable dog which needs a loving home only for it to be thrown in another cage and put up to auction. It's a saddening part of a life that we'd prefer didn't exist.

Again, it's not about you, you're just the next guy.

Compur,

Sorry guy but you seemed to have missed the part that it's not so much about you.

People come through here weekly, it seems, looking to sell off their grandfather's prized camera as soon as they can and for as much as they can -which is their right if they are the current owner- without a care about the object or the place it held in their (supposed) loved one's life.

Occasionally we get the chortlers who've managed to buy or have been given a (they hope) valuable camera from someone at a very low price and want us to tell them they're now rich.

To us this is much the same as finding or being given a valuable dog which needs a loving home only for it to be thrown in another cage and put up to auction. It's a saddening part of a life that we'd prefer didn't exist.

Again, it's not about you, you're just the next guy.

It may not be about me but this is my thread so I'll continue to defend my actions, if you want to moan about 'guys' then do it on another thread.

I don't really want to repeat myself for people who haven't read the thread, I will only point out that I tried the 'paid for advice' to prevent the rousing free loader response I've had from this thread. I'd have been happy for someone to PM me and offer advice for a paypal fee as well; I'm not the next guy. In addition I'm polite and grateful for advice I've received and will follow up the posts with the outcome. Clearly the camera is relatively unusual as the information garnered from this forum was minimal.

Not too sure about the dog analogy but I'll respond. If I found or was given a valuable dog but couldn't offer it a loving home (eg I worked shifts or lived in a flat) then I'd do my best to find it a suitable owner, in that sense I'm doing the same with a camera, I can't offer it a home, I wouldn't use it and more importantly I wouldn't appreciate it. If it happens to be valuable then great. I'm selling other cameras that aren't valuable, possibly at a loss given I've made the postage low, rather than simply throw them out

I'd be interested to know where members bought their collections, I doubt very much they were all inherited.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back