food photography

chefjacob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi
i cook for living, but i constantly build my portfolio, i take a lot of pictures of food that i make my question is what is the best lens for a close up food pictures, i realize lighting is a big part of it but how much of that do i need , im trying to make my food look really proffessional like in cookbooks but im having a hard time capturing those pictures please help

thank you

Alot of what I see in the food magazines can be down with one light and a softbox and maybe some reflectors. Or a softbox on a good flash (like a SB800 nikon). as far as lenses go, any of the say 100mm macros on the market would work. For a litlle money saving, check out the sigma or tamron offerings. My lense is a 28-75 2.8 Tamron and it focus down to just over 12 inches. I am able to get really close with this lense at 75mm, plus the magnification factor of the D200.

Hope some of this helps

food photography presents its own difficulties, DOF needs to be around f11-f16 for front to back sharpness, spray food with glycerine n water to give it that juicy look, dont fully cook the food either so that it keeps body while standing/composition is being sorted, light from off centre / side and use reflectors or as above says use a light tent, experiment experiment. Its tougher than it looks.

Most reactions

Back