Football managers worth their salt

Darfion

Soapbox guru...
Reaction score
Website
www.darfion.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In the English Premier league you now and again come across sharp witted and down to earth managers. The ex- manager of Southampton F.C. Gordon Strachan is one of those who you just love to listen to.

He used to play for Manchester United and Scotland before he retired from the game. He then went on to manage several English clubs until his retirement, due to bad health, this year. Here's an actual interview with an unsuspecting BBC reporter:

Reporter: Gordon, Do you think James Beattie deserves to be in the England squad?
Strachan: I don't care, I'm Scottish!

Reporter: "Gordon, can we have a quick word please?"
Strachan: "Velocity" [walks off]

Reporter: Welcome to Southampton Football Club. Do you think you are the right man to turn things around?
Strachan: No. I was asked if I thought I was the right man for the job and I said, "No, I think they should have got George Graham because I'm useless."

Reporter: Is that your best start to a season?
Strachan: Well I've still got a job so it's far better than the Coventry one, that's for sure.

Reporter: Are you getting where you want to be with this team?
Strachan: We're not doing bad. What do you expect us to be like? We were eighth in the league last year, in the cup final and we got into Europe. I don't know where you expect me to get to. Do you expect us to win the Champions League?

Reporter: Gordon, you must be delighted with that result?
Strachan: You're spot on! You can read me like a book.

Reporter: Gordon, Agustin Delgado?
Strachan: I've got more important things to think about. I've got a yoghurt to finish by today, the expiry date is today. That can be my priority rather than Agustin Delgado.

Reporter: This might sound like a daft question, but you'll be happy to get your first win under your belt, won't you?
Strachan: You're right. It is a daft question. I'm not even going to bother answering that one. It is a daft question, you're spot on there.

Reporter: Bang, there goes your unbeaten run. Can you take it?
Strachan: No, I'm just going to crumble like a wreck. I'll go home, become an alcoholic and maybe jump off a bridge. Umm, I think I can take it, yeah.

Reporter: There's no negative vibes or negative feelings here?
Strachan: Apart from yourself, we're all quite positive round here. I'm going to whack you over the head with a big stick, down negative man, down.

Reporter: Where will Marion Pahars fit into the team line-up?
Strachan: Not telling you! It's a secret.

Reporter: You don't take losing lightly, do you Gordon?
Strachan: I don't take stupid comments lightly either.

Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?
Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there...

Darfion said:
Reporter: So, Gordon, in what areas do you think Middlesbrough were better than you today?
Strachan: What areas? Mainly that big green one out there...

This one especially just had me rolling. Pretty much sums up my match from this past weekend. Our team got drilled 4-1. Youngest player on our team is 24, oldest player on the team we played was 23. :lol:

Thanks Darren, I sent this out to my entire team. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing, Darren! Those are great!

Most coaches here in the States would lose their job if they said anything half that sharp, unfortunately for the fans.

That was good. Reminds me of a golf broadcaster on ABC. Use to be a player and then retired a few years back. I forget his name now, but he is a scotch and gives interviews much the same.

I've got a new hero!
Maybe it's just my memory failing but having worked in the North Sea oil and gasfields for 10 years I swear I remember practically everyone thinking and responding that way.
That man would never survive in the USA though, this country's main product is B.S. and the glorification thereof.

Most reactions

Back