football pics

BraCas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am here to get some C/C...first time posting. Shooting HS football games has been a challenge for me due to each school have different lighting challenges. The most common one is the lights are a little dim and only from the sidelines..creates bad shadows. The other challenge I have is the final cropping. I dont know if I want it up close of out farther so to get the over play in the frame.

let me know what you think

Attachments

• ff7-2.jpg
    ff7-2.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 244
  • f6-3.jpg
    f6-3.jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 150
  • ff4-3.jpg
    ff4-3.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 144
Welcome! I prefer full body shots when it comes to action, like number 2 and 3, but where number 1 shows a face mask where the story is up close like that, you did well.

Number 2, the whole story is about him running, trying to avoid a tackler, so you need the whole body, bc if you would of cropped it waist up, you would had no idea what was going on.

So its subjective and changes each play.

Like if a quarterback is going to pass the ball, it could work either way, you can get him planting his feet, or you can get up tight and show just the arm coming back or forward.

Nothing wrong with any of these. I like the crops and the light looks good. I would just keep doing what you're doing. The first one is the kind of shot a lot of people don't look for, they prefer the "easy" running back and quarterback shots, but shooting the linemen, because there often are so many bodies around them, it's tougher to end up with nice shots. Shooting the defensive end and offensive tackle are easier than shooting the guard and centre on offensive.

Nice shots. As for the choice on crops, there are times when both wide and tight crops will work on the same frame, crop it both ways.

For stand-alone sports shots you gotta have the ball in the image (general rule for sports that use a scoring device). #1 has a soft focus, looks like movement blur and no ball. The action is good, but no ball. #2 is sharp and has good timing, a horizontal format would have allowed a bit more room for the ballcarrier to run into. The way it is cropped now the ballcarrier is running out of the photo instead of into the photo. Your photo works because the right side is anchored by the defensive player. #3 doesn't do anything for me, no ball, no contact and minimal action. It is sharp, the eyes of the D-Back are great and sharp, but it lacks content as a stand-alone image.

HS lighting is bad. Fortunately we have 3400 and 6400. Keep shooting you're off to a good start. Experience will increase your skill level. Hitting the delete button on the computer will sharpen your eye in the field.

Good Luck and Good Shooting,
Gary

For stand-alone sports shots you gotta have the ball in the image (general rule for sports that use a scoring device). #1 has a soft focus, looks like movement blur and no ball. The action is good, but no ball. #2 is sharp and has good timing, a horizontal format would have allowed a bit more room for the ballcarrier to run into. The way it is cropped now the ballcarrier is running out of the photo instead of into the photo. Your photo works because the right side is anchored by the defensive player. #3 doesn't do anything for me, no ball, no contact and minimal action. It is sharp, the eyes of the D-Back are great and sharp, but it lacks content as a stand-alone image.

HS lighting is bad. Fortunately we have 3400 and 6400. Keep shooting you're off to a good start. Experience will increase your skill level. Hitting the delete button on the computer will sharpen your eye in the field.

Gary

thanks for your comment about running into the frame rather than out of it. I am going to try that.

Gary
Having the ball in a football picture is not necessary, I'm not sure what rule that is but it's definitely wrong.

Most reactions

Back