Football Shooting - 1.4x or 2x Tele for Sigma 70-200 2.8?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm needing experienced advice. I'd like to get into shooting some football this season.

Which would you buy?

1.4x Tele = 98mm-280mm (f/4)
2.x Tele = 140mm-400mm (f/5.6)

The 1.4x just seems a bit short, but I've never shot on the sidelines, maybe it's the perfect length. What do you think? I like the fact that it'll put me at f/4.

I would think the 2x since you need the reach of 400mm. I shoot soccer matches, and 200mm often times won't cut it. And a football field is even bigger. Just a thought though.

It deppends on what level your shooting and access you will have. Are you going to be on the sidelines? Or from the stands?

I shot football for the college paper and used a 300 2.8 on one body, and a 80-200 on the other. The school I attended was not so popular in football that I had to stay in one spot on the field (MAC team). I could move from one end to the other and find a decent spot to shoot from.

So from the field 300 was a good length deppending where the play is on the field. Smaller lens as the play gets closer to you. I would say I used the 300 75% of the time. As play moved close to the end zone. I would switch to the 80-200 body.

So for on field shooting I say the 1.4 would be usefull as you will get the long range and still get in the shorter shots without changing lenses or remove the extender.

If your in the stands or a distance off the sidelines. Go with the 2x.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back