For All Cat Owners

Nurd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone else's cat eat everything else BUT cat food?

At this exact moment my cat is eating green beans. :confused: She LOVES popcorn and basically everything else other than cat food.

Just wondering

I have had cats as pets for years and one thing I learned the hard way is you are jeoprodizing your cat's health by letting him/her eat that stuff. They should be on a steady diet of a vet approved cat food such as Iams. I give my cats both the soft and the kibble. Do yourself and your cat a favor, change the diet no matter how much they scream and cry!
I am very passionate about this issue because my cats are not just pets, they are family!

You should try nutritional yeast. My cats loved it and I hear many others do too. It's kitty crack.

There are definitely foods they should avoid, like things with a high magnesium content, and there are certain things they MUST have, like taurine, but a lot of cat foods, even some of the "good" ones, have meat by-products in them; things like tendons, hoofs, and anything else left over from cows, pigs, etc. that isn't meat. That's not so hot either. But yeah, using a lot of human food as snacks isn't a good idea. It replaces calories they should be getting from their regular diet.

Just leave some regular cat food in the bowl and no matter how much he/she yells don't feed any human food once they are actually hungry they will eat what was given :)

My cat only eats cat food she does sit around alot while im eating and when im done let her lick the plate if ive had something with meat but she isn't actually intrested in eating any of it as when I offer she just smells it and walks away....

I have an 8month kitty when first brought home we used whiskas kitten but after finding out that it was Mcdonalds after speaking with the vet we moved onto Science plan kitten! As a treat every other week she gets minced beef, tuna in brine or chicken and rice as a treat and better variety!
She does like some fruits adores chocolate mouse (licking the tub once ive eaten it) and likes to drink cranberry juice!!:lol:

We've got one cat, who is constantly trying to get our food... fish, beef, chicken, crackers, cookies, almost anything. This is the cat that's actually allergic to chicken, so we have to spend $30 for an 8lb bag of perscription food for him. At that rate, he'd better eat the cat food.
The other cat won't eat anything except cat food. We can put a bowl of tuna or a chunk of salmon on the floor and he won't touch it. Even cat treats don't interest him. The only "treat" he'll eat is tortilla chips.

If you can put up with the whinning cats will do, for about a week, when they don't get thier way, they will get the point eventually! Once you change thier eatng habit, stick to it, otherwise, they have you right where they want you!

Our new little one is a Hoover. She just shovels around the floor and sucks up anything she comes across. I found her eating a peanut yesterday....

We have had to be much more careful around the kitchen and quick to pickup anything that might splater or drop as she is right there when it drops.

The only thing she doesn't seem to like is her dry food. She'll eat it but only grudingly. She refuses crunch treats but will eat the "soft and stinky" moist treats.

She is a holy terror when we have dinner as she just keeps jumping up on the table. We must take her off 20 times during the meal. I don't know what we'll do when we have company over. Maybe lock her in a room. She's just 4 months old so I'm hoping she'll finally grow out of that behavior. Our other cats have not been like her at all. She is also showing signs of being a "Howler" for food, not good......

Oh, I just remembered. She attacked a bag of Cheetos yesterday. Ever seen a kitten with a yellow smile? :^D

The cats out at my in-law's farm are very fat and happy right now...it's hunting season and they get to eat plenty of raw deer scraps. Maybe not the healthiest...but they are farm cats...they feast and get fat...which is good because they need the insulation when it's -30 degrees outside.

My little dog, on the other hand...is a vegetable nut. We feed her Iams...but her favorite foods are carrots and ice burg lettuce.

lmao at the vegetarian dog!

My rat used to love his healthy rat food, but also had a thing for fresh meat and chocolate buttons (but only as a treat).

My youngest cat loves fruits! He will lick and chomp on a piece of apple, eat grapes. For the regular cat food we give the other tow (older) cats canned food once a day and regular dry food in the bowl. For my youngest cat, instead of canned food I give him baby formula, like turkey, beef. He loves it and it's also good for him.

I once had a cat that liked pickles and potato chips. He ate regular dry food but man would he try to be sneaky if you were eating something he wanted :lol:

I certainly hope Iams cat food is better than their dog food. I wouldn't feed it to my dog even if they put me on salary to do it.

Well I know it isn't so healthy to feed your cat food. And she does eat her food..but she would rather have popcorn or something. Some of the replies I just read are hilarious. (Especially the cheetos.) I dunno about the whole chocolate thing with cats. I'm pretty sure they arnt supposed to have chocolate, but I've had plenty of cats and they've had chocolate before and never died from it. Its still probably not all to good.

I feed her friskies. We did the whole science diet thing..then we ran out..and we just bought her something that looked good.

I know what your saying airgunr my little cat is so hyper all the time. I feel bad because we have to put her in the closet. (not allowed to have cats in the apartment) but I think they will grow out of it. All my other cats just layed around and stuffs. ^_^ I <3 fat kitties!

Most reactions

Back