for D90, nifty 50 or 35 mm

Kofman13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
i am pretty much set on buying a D90 in the coming days and I mostly do portrait, head shots etc.

I was planning on using a nifty fifty which is about $120 on ebay.
untill June 10th, JR.com is selling Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G DSLR Lens for $184.
which is better for my needs? its only lil more than 60 bucks more for 35 mm

I just bought the d90 and the 50mm of bh and got it yesterday. I love my 50, it is very sharp and fast. High recommend the 50.

i am pretty much set on buying a D90 in the coming days and I mostly do portrait, head shots etc.

I was planning on using a nifty fifty which is about $120 on ebay.
untill June 10th, JR.com is selling Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G DSLR Lens for $184.
which is better for my needs? its only lil more than 60 bucks more for 35 mm

The 50mm on a crop is the equivalent FOV of a 75mm on an FX or film camera. This is nice for portraits. The 35mm on a crop is closer to a 50mm and is a bit too short for portraits. If it's a choice of one, I would go for the 50mm first - given your stated interests. The kit lens will cover both of these focal lengths just fine by the way - just not in low light.

I have the 50 f/1.8 - $125
and the 35 f/1.8 - $199
I just picked up the Sigma 50 f/1.4 - $499

The bokeh is a bit harsh on the 50 1.8 (depending on the background - need to be careful)
The 35 is very sharp but suffers from CA in high contrast areas (purple fringing)
The Sigma is too new to comment on yet, but so far so good. Sigma has had some QC problems, but my copy seems to be OK. Nice bokeh - rounded 9 blade aperture. Crazy DOF.

Last edited:
I would agree with sleist's comments; buy the 50mm lens first.

The 35mm has great reviews and seems to be an obvious candidate for "a must shoot" fr every photographer. Now in regards to your desired application, there are probably better options. But, the 35mm is still a very nice piece of cheap glass.

Which one is a more well rounded piece of glass as I am getting a body with no kit lens. Also so you mean the 35mm would be too close to the subject?

Hmm... I can't say.
The 50mm f/1.8D is a super sharp lens, it's an amazing deal, and would give you some great results. Plus it's cheap, so that's a definite plus. It would also give you a bit more reach, and that could come in handy if this is going to be your only lens.

Yup for headshots, 50mm.

You will be limited on group shots, hence why you'll end up buying the 35mm eventually!

That is what I'm doing.
50mm 1.4g on a d40......got a 35mm 1.8g in the mail as we speak, plus a flash!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back