For outdoor photographers: When's your magic hour?

vonnagy

have kiwi, will travel...
Reaction score
Website
www.vonnagy.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Oh how i love twilight! The hues of the sky when the sun sends its last radition waves to earth for the day are magical.

The other magic hour for me is right after a rainstorm. The glow of wet leaves, metal and other objects give an otherworldly appearance.

I am quite fortunately where i live because Auckland rests on a narrow strip of land which gots the storms from both Tasman seas and the Pacific ocean.

So when is your 'magic hour' or 'magic time', do you time your excursions accordingly?

I always time my photo trips for early morning or sunset. Harsh light just washes out colors and is so uninspiring...

Although if there is stormy weather, that is a great time for photos as well.

So pretty much what you sad :D

When I'm shooting infrared, I like to be out in the middle of the day - high noon, when the sunrays are beating down through the leaves. It really sets off that glow.

For other types of photography, I'd agree that evenings are lovely, and right after turbulent weather.

Definitely the twilight. The warmth of the entire scene is the best after sun goes down, although sometimes I like to use the sun's light just before sunset or right after sunrise.

I have taken some shots of the Grand Teton mountain range very early in the morning, jus as the Sun peeks out and the mountains are bathed in a pinkish color. Most amazing spectacle!

vonnagy said:
I am quite fortunately where i live because Auckland rests on a narrow strip of land which gots the storms from both Tasman seas and the Pacific ocean.

Oh, that you are! Arizona knows only sunshine and more sunshine! We love seeing and feeling clouds! :roll:

I would have to agree with everyone else. My magic hours are either early morning or late afternoon to evening. The problem is that afternoon to evening hours can be a bad time in my area. Too many people are also enjoying being out at that hour. Sometimes it hard getting to a place where I have elbow room to take pictures. I usually have to go to some lesser known place.

vonnagy said:
So when is your 'magic hour' or 'magic time'?

Depends on which bar I'm closest to...oh sorry! that's "happy hour"!

Lets not forget night photography. Nothing beats capturing the magic hour, followed by dinner, and then out on the streets with the ink blackdrop of night time.

Being on the Front Range in Colorado Pikes Peak and other mountains are usually prettiest and have the best light about an hour or two after daylight.

But, as most people said, I like it best just after sunset when the light is still strong enough for decent pictures but has a diffuse glow.

Of course there's the warm light of late afternoon sun on golden prairie grass and I like night pictures.

Dunno if it is really a "magic hour", but when the circumstances align so that there are dark clouds say in the east, the sun shining from the west, and a golden subject like grass, mountain, dog, in between. The subject just glows in a unique tone that is tough to match.

The hour before sunup, especially the 15 minutes before the sun cracks the horizon.

Right before a nasty rain, because them clouds really look cool!

30 minutes before to 15 minutes or so after sunset.

Whenever I stumble across something cool to shoot. :D

Most reactions

Back