For the younger people

Luke345678

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Wow I don't belong in this category.... Well I have some advice for younger people that have their mind set on making photography as a job. Personally I like to take it slow and just enjoy it but if you are just dying to do it then here are some options that won't be paying the big bucks but it's better than nothing! :D

1) School sports. If you are in middleschool or highschool then this is very easy. Talk to your athletic director or coach of the team and see if you can take the team pictures. I would reccomend having a small little portfolio just so they know they will get good pictures. Make sure you know what you can and can not do. I find this very simple and I do it for my highschool. I took the whole football teams photo which took 3 hours and got paid $70. They only need photos once a year but once you do one thing for the school it opens up TONS of oppurtunities. Also $70 bucks for 3 hours of taking pictures? Sounds good to me!

2) Local Newspaper. If you have a local news paper then try submitting a photo and see what happpens. Recently where I live there was a fire and I took a picture of the after math and submitted it too my local newspaper and got paid 30 bucks! It was showed in the newspaper and they gave me credit.

These are both little things but after a while they do add up.

Once again I'm not a proffesional by any means but these are small things that may help you. Also your school or newspaper may not pay the same price so don't take that by granted. Remember if your only in photography for the money.... you may want to relocate. :p

Thanks,

-Luke

You are showing your age. Most schools have blogs. ;)

Good advice though.

I took the whole football teams photo which took 3 hours and got paid $70. ........ $70 bucks for 3 hours of taking pictures? Sounds good to me!
Yep, it sounds good.

The way it works though is you have to deduct your expenses from the $70. The $70 is just part of what your camera/lens/computer/editing software/camera bag/internet access/cell phone/portfolio/etc cost.

There are so many people willing to give their work away, that I suspect very very few are paid to shoot for e.g. a school team. The experience of shooting for free may be valuable, but most should enter into this knowing that probably less than 1% in that field actually make a living from it.

I took the whole football teams photo which took 3 hours and got paid $70. ........ $70 bucks for 3 hours of taking pictures? Sounds good to me!
Yep, it sounds good.

The way it works though is you have to deduct your expenses from the $70. The $70 is just part of what your camera/lens/computer/editing software/camera bag/internet access/cell phone/portfolio/etc cost.

Yes that is very true. Just throwing out some ideas, I always see younger people asking how to make money. It's sad to see that's what there all caught up in but just wanted to help a few. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back