For those shooting with a Canon 20d

I have a question about the battery grip. For those of you that have it, are the generics as good as the Canon Branded ones? The official ones seem to be going for a descent price on ebay used, and this got me thinking about the generics.

I had the Canon and I've seen the Optech one. Optech actually makes the grip for Canon so the mold is identical to the Canon but the plastic seems/feels cheaper, the hard/shiny type of plastic.

Gary

I have a question about the battery grip. For those of you that have it, are the generics as good as the Canon Branded ones? The official ones seem to be going for a descent price on ebay used, and this got me thinking about the generics.

I have heard that they very in quality depending on the camera, but I tried one of the gadget infinity copies for about $90, and it was very so-so, I would not recommend the model for the 20D. In the end after I took it apart and re-soldered some of the electronics, but it also does not fit as snug as a real one. It still lives on my second body, but I picked up a used Real Canon grip for $119, at a camera store for my main camera.

Here is a link to my initial thought on the grip.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...419-off-brand-battery-grips-brief-review.html

Ok, now a question about the battery charger. :)

It would seem the battery I received isnt Canon brand. When I charge it, the lights on the Canon Brand charger dont light up on the amount charged, 0%, 25%, 50%, etc. Is this normal? :) And is the light orange when its finished charging? On my Canon XT battery charger, the light turns a yellowish green. I think the battery charger I got is canon brand. :)

I finally had a chance to use this camera in a photo shoot on the weekend.

I have more than a couple images that were not properly focused. I know my way around a camera, and normally having an image that is in focus isnt a problem for me. The subject wasnt moving, I had the camera set to center focus, although I do forget which focusing mode I had it set to, theres 3 of them, and I dont know what the 3 mean yet.

After taking a bunch of pictures, theres been more than a few that were not in focus. I wonder if this is eithe ra problem with the camera, a fluke, or something im doing that I dont realize.

It probably doesnt matter, but I was shooting at iso 200 and 400, 1/200th and the aperatures were between F6.something and F9.something and I was using the canon 50mm F1.8 lens. I realize 200 and 400 are a bit high for a studio shoot, but I wanted to keep the flash's on a lower power setting so they would cycle faster so I could take pictures faster.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I wonder if the eye piece has any effect on teh focusing of the lens. I do wear glasses. I did some testing, and I dont think it does.

A green light on the bottom of the viewfinder is the actually confirmation of focus lock. The red AF point illuminating indicates which AF point is being used for focus. There is an audio focus confirmation which can be turned on and off.

Gary

Most reactions

Back