Forgotten Elegance

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Saint Louis years past was a major brick producing city and the city is built of brick. Those who could afford it and flaunt it built with glazed brick. From my walk to the grocery and from a era long past.

Joe

glazed_bricks.jpg

I remember the glazed brick, but I'd forgotten about the activity in St. Louis. Interesting map on the Dogtwon area: Dogtown: Map and List of Mines in Dogtown Area

Bob Corbett (your map website) is our resident brick man. The location on the map marked #5 is about where I have my peach trees. When we started digging to plant the trees and we uncovered a lot of interesting bricks we called Bob to come over and get them.

We still have a fair amount of glazed bricks scattered around the neighborhood but little by little we loose them. It broke my heart to lose this one this year:

glazed_brick.jpg

They're finishing the re-model job as we write this.

Joe

I would imagine there is a big market for the reclaimed bricks. Very neat and interesting thread!

The location on the map marked #5 is about where I have my peach trees.

Cool!! In my younger days I was in St. Louis a lot, only lived about 2 hrs south. Unfortunately I only have vague memories of the city anymore.

Here's one where the whole lower front of the building is done in glazed green brick.

rigazzis.jpg

That's the restaurant where Yogi and Joe worked as teenagers before moving on to play baseball.

Joe

I have many found memories of Bush Stadium over the years, watching the Cardinals.

I have many found memories of Bush Stadium over the years, watching the Cardinals.

At least they built the new one out of bricks ;)

Joe

What a neat thread. Interesting and informative with great photographs!

Here's one where the whole lower front of the building is done in glazed green brick.

View attachment 156514

That's the restaurant where Yogi and Joe worked as teenagers before moving on to play baseball.

Joe
Thumbs up to a great picture!

I would imagine there is a big market for the reclaimed bricks. Very neat and interesting thread!

Yes, but I believe it's very expensive to recover them intact.

Joe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back