Formal Education?

Welcome to ThePhotoForum, mjsneddon, good to have you here.
It seems like you have quite the history as being a hobby photographer and I am sure you have a lot to share with us. Don't be shy. Start posting your photos (new or old, no matter which) in one or the other of our galleries then, we'd love to see them.

And this thread is firmly back on track of the topic given by neea: "Formal Education?"

So more members can tell us how they came to love photography and how they were trained or not or self trained.

really cool reading about all your ways of learning!

i guess i'm mostly self-taught but i do learn SO much from coming to these photography boards. I LOVE the hot debates about what makes a good photo or photographer, I seriously learn so much from those discussions. As much as I do by looking at others' pictures.

Someone else mentioned obsession! I had my love of photography re-sparked a couple years ago and especially the last year, I have been completely obsessed. I dream in photos, I dream my unsharp mask numbers, 20/60/0 over and over. I feel like I'm going crazy sometimes. It's ALL I can think about. I have to force myself to focus on my kids and home and our homeschooling.

I'm saving to take the MLKStudios online course and I'm also looking for someone to mentor me but I don't know how to go about that.

No formal training.
I guess that if Beethoven and Mozart felt they need to be taught ( by Haydn ), it might help others as well.

Dani

As much as I do by looking at others' pictures.

This is a big help for me also.
I'm always comparing my pictures to other peoples. Trying to pick both apart. Trying to see how my pictures could be better or why I like mine more.
I get alot of inspiration and motivation from others work.

Most reactions

Back