Formal photo shots on wedding day ?

brianhuds81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

As we all know wedding photos shot is a creative and challenging work. I have a quick question.
Do you guys usually do your formal couple shots before/after the wedding day or on the same day?
I'd like to know your experiences.

Thanks in advance !

All on the day, I'm a little baffled by the question, how many shoots do you want for one wedding. I normally tell the couple on booking day to reserve an hour or so between the ceremony and pigging out for the formals/couple shots. Hope this helps. H

^^^ What he said!

Always on 'the day' - otherwise it's not a wedding shot. I would suggest asking for 2 - 3 hours rather than one though. Invariably they will run late, a critical family member will be missing at the formal shoot location... Your best bet is to enlist the help of the Maid/Matron of Honour so that you can set up while she runs around herding the cats.

Yup, always on the wedding day.

Part of the reason they are the 'formal' shots, is that the subjects are dressed up in their 'formal' clothes.

Would you really expect them to get all dressed & made up on a separate day?

Now, there are what many call 'engagement photos', where you shoot the bride & groom before the wedding. Typically in more causal attire, but it could be anything.

Another shoot, that isn't as common as it used to be, is the 'bridal photo'. This is when you shoot just the bride (typically before the wedding) in her dress with hair & makeup done etc. This can also be considered a trial run for the bride in terms of wearing the dress, hair & makeup etc. This also gives you a chance to take your time and get some really good shots of the bride & her dress. This might be shot in a studio, for example.

However, I think the most common scenario is to just shoot everything on the wedding day. Sometimes before the ceremony, sometimes after...sometimes both.
A tradition for many people is that the B&G don't see each other before the wedding ceremony, so you wouldn't be able to shoot them together until after. But you might have time to shoot other groupings before (the groomsmen or bridesmaids etc). It all depends on the timing of the day. This is why I feel that it's important for the photographer to be involved in the planning of the itinerary. And as mentioned, ask for more time that you think you will need...get as much as you can because there will inevitably be delays or problems and it's your time that will shrink.

After quite a while at this game I can tell you for certain there's no bridal couple (UK) who will be willing to give up 3 hours of their wedding so you can sicken them off taking millions of shots, it might be happening over the pond but not here, in fact you'll be lucky to get the hour. After they pay you they expect the earth but don't want to allow you the time to produce it, wham bam thank you mam. H

After quite a while at this game I can tell you for certain there's no bridal couple (UK) who will be willing to give up 3 hours of their wedding so you can sicken them off taking millions of shots, it might be happening over the pond but not here, in fact you'll be lucky to get the hour. After they pay you they expect the earth but don't want to allow you the time to produce it, wham bam thank you mam. H

I bet you struggle to even get 1 hour

That day. With a little prep work you can get them out in 30 minutes after everyone else clears out.

I start with the whole family and bridesmaids/groomsmen and work my way down to just the bride. I let everyone go as I'm finished with them so that they aren't too grumpy when it's time to do the reception. I also like to do the cake/garter/whatever shots between the dinner and the ensuing party so that after the first dance and a few songs after I'm on the way home.

I bet you struggle to even get 1 hour

I've pretty much given up on it all, I've had the Bridezillas, the endless upgrade garbage and the constant stream of wanabees massively undercutting prices so pretty much dropping weddings altogether, my enthusiasm for social photography now is nil, its not worth the agro for the financial outlay. H

Most reactions

New Topics

Back