Formatting Photos For Digital Frames

nala

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I bought an HP df780a4 7" digital picture frame from Best Buy. The example photos on there look great, and some of the photos I uploaded to it look great, but some of the photos I uploaded to it look terrible. It almost looks like the frame can't display all of the colors that are in the photo. The frame has a resolution of 800x480, and I've tried resizing the photos to that resolution in Adobe Elements, but they still continue to display incorrectly on the frame. Does anyone know what I need to do to make my images display right?

Thanks!!

It's because they are a different aspect ratio.

You need to crop the incorrectly displaying images, not just resize them.

Look at the original pixel dimensions of the one's that come out wrong. Is the long side 1.6667 times the short side. 800 is 1.6667 times longer than 480.

If you have an image that is 1000 x 800 pixels, the long side is 1.25 times the short side, a different aspect ratio than your frame. It will look distorted, or have some cut off if you just resize instead of cropping before you resize.

Hope that helps.

Not sure what you use for an editing program, but GIMP has an option in it's crop tool that lets you crop to a specific aspect ratio. Pretty nice if you're planning on printing or, as the OP asked, putting them in a digital frame.

Resizing and cropping to the display size is one thing. Creating an image with an appropriate color space is another.

The sizing issue isn't related to the color issue. Try converting the images to sRGB color space in your Photoshop Elements before saving the cropped and resized image.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I really appreciate your help! I tried them and the pictures are still displaying without the full range of colors. Maybe it is just a hardware issue that can't be worked around? I'll keep playing with it and see if I can resolve the problem, but it is looking a little bit hopeless.

Most reactions

Back