Found this old abandoned house... C&C please!

JMBriggs

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is my CC.

I might be 1/3 stop under exposed...
The sky in between the trees is a hotspot that bugs me.
The grass and dead branches almost add to the eerie feel, but make it a bit cluttered.
I feel like I should have gone for a lower angle...
Oh, and by the way... the building was leaning pretty bad so I straightened the picture so it wouldn't look so drastic...

So now its your turn to butcher it. Don't go easy on me please. How can I learn to be great if I don't know EVERY little thing I could improve on?

Shot at f9 1/80 iso 800
IMG_0908.jpg

JMBriggs said:
Here is my CC.

I might be 1/3 stop under exposed...
The sky in between the trees is a hotspot that bugs me.
The grass and dead branches almost add to the eerie feel, but make it a bit cluttered.
I feel like I should have gone for a lower angle...
Oh, and by the way... the building was leaning pretty bad so I straightened the picture so it wouldn't look so drastic...

So now its your turn to butcher it. Don't go easy on me please. How can I learn to be great if I don't know EVERY little thing I could improve on?

Shot at f9 1/80 iso 800

First off, it's a great picture. Now for what I'd do. Easy solution: crop the top off to eliminate the hotspot. Or, photoshop more tree branches over it. Another thing I would do is to lighten the building so there's more contrast against the dark background.

And when you're out shooting, always take lots of shots from near to far away. From standing to laying on the ground. From telephoto to macro. Unless its the Grand Canyon, some of your best shots might not show the entire object.

I think you've pretty much nailed it. A neat shot, and I think there are more there. I think you could have a lot of fun if you tossed a couple of speedlights inside to give a bit of interior illumination.

Thank you guys. I did go in from far to near, but I never remember to go low to high. Thanks for the reminder. Also I didn't do any inside pics because it was filled with trash ) =

I plan to! I'm excited. I really want to play with the window openings.

Great shot.... but why did you straighten it? Maybe you're right and it looks better now... but it's already run down so who cares if it's leaning too? I'm curious to see the original.

Seems kinda dull to me... abandoned buildings are neat subjects but hard to capture with interest.

Look at some of invisible's work. He generally nails these things.

What you have is what I would call a real-estate shot... taken of a crappy building. Real estate shots are pretty dull, unless you're buying a house... and if you're buying a house, you're probably not buying this one. The textures and whatnot lend some interest, but not enough to carry the image on its own. You need more... something else interesting of note in the frame, an interesting angle, some interesting lighting or environmentals, etc.

manaheim said:
Seems kinda dull to me... abandoned buildings are neat subjects but hard to capture with interest.

What you have is what I would call a real-estate shot... taken of a crappy building. Real estate shots are pretty dull, unless you're buying a house... and if you're buying a house, you're probably not buying this one. The textures and whatnot lend some interest, but not enough to carry the image on its own. You need more... something else interesting of note in the frame, an interesting angle, some interesting lighting or environmentals, etc.

Thanks for your critique. I agree. I would like to come back with a model. Any suggestions for my next try? That and Washington can be so.... Plain? Foggy and gloomy. The picture felt that way to me too.

BekahAura said:
Great shot.... but why did you straighten it? Maybe you're right and it looks better now... but it's already run down so who cares if it's leaning too? I'm curious to see the original.

Because you can't see the horizon it just looked like I tilted the camera... Otherwise I would have left it I think.

manaheim said:

Thanks for your critique. I agree. I would like to come back with a model. Any suggestions for my next try? That and Washington can be so.... Plain? Foggy and gloomy. The picture felt that way to me too.

I'd have to see more of the surroundings, but a lot of the aspects of these old places is in the details. Get in closer.

As far as the model is concerned... just keep in mind what you're trying to do. Bringing some hot young gal on the scene might be interesting, but the subject is going to be her... not the scene or the house. It's essentially unavoidable. If you want to do a model shoot of an attractive gal against a rustic background, then sure... but that's nowhere near where you started.

If it was leaning so bad, it would have been nice to see it that way too instead of just this way. Nice photo otherwise

manaheim said:
I'd have to see more of the surroundings, but a lot of the aspects of these old places is in the details. Get in closer.

As far as the model is concerned... just keep in mind what you're trying to do. Bringing some hot young gal on the scene might be interesting, but the subject is going to be her... not the scene or the house. It's essentially unavoidable. If you want to do a model shoot of an attractive gal against a rustic background, then sure... but that's nowhere near where you started.

When I said model I didn't mean a hot girl, I was thinking more along the lines of trying to portray a homeless child maybe... Something that hits hard and brings some emotion to the scene. The whole "hot chick" thing is too mainstream.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back