Fountain

Nice subject shot in great light. Good DOF and processing. Composition is weak. Fountain is cut off at bottom left frame and cropped tight at the bottom. I'd trade that boring sky at top frame for those pretty flowers cut off at bottom frame from a composition standpoint.

Nice subject shot in great light. Good DOF and processing. Composition is weak. Fountain is cut off at bottom left frame and cropped tight at the bottom. I'd trade that boring sky at top frame for those pretty flowers cut off at bottom frame from a composition standpoint.

When I took it was right after one of Treys lessons about not always having it all in and letting the eyes fill in the blanks and to go out and try it. The idea behind that is we all know that this is water fountain, by not having it all in, does that change the fact that it is a water fountain? There were some homework that was supposed to be done to that effect and this one happened to be apart of that homework.

I always feel that I need to have everything in the frame but, it did open my eyes to the idea that I don't and it might not work for everyone but, it may work for someone..who knows but it was worth the shot to try it out. I had not had a chance to process all of my hotel shots and got around to it the other day. I am not a big flower person so If had to choose between sky and flowers well as you can see I chose flowers but that might be because I am so darn allergic to flowers that I just very rarely will go out of my way to shoot them. I see your points that you made rotanimod however there was a bit more to this photo being it was a homework shot. I also did a fair amount of cloning in the background there were three cars behind that wall that I cloned out...

here is another example of using that technique:

trying to get everything in

study circle by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

trying not to get everything in. and letting your eyes and brain feel in the blank.

study circle2 by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

trying not to get everything in. and letting your eyes and brain feel in the blank.

study circle2 by VIPGraphX, on Flickr

Yes, I hear you. But this shot is much more balanced (although the horizon is tilted FYI). You cut off a fountain, which was your subject, in awkward places. It's not really leaving things for the eye to fill in, it's just cropping/framing badly.

On the other hand, in this case, it works a bit better. Not wild about it, but at least it's balanced.

He talks about this framing concept in this video. Where he cuts off the dead tree in left frame is a very good use of this concept.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah I saw that video, Its a new concept for me and with the new comes the ugly...and the learning curve.

Most reactions

Back