Fourier Image Analysis

jvgig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am doing a research project on applications of Fourier series in Linear Alegbra; however, since I am still in high school, I am having trouble finding free information as many articles require subscriptions that my school does not have. After a bit of exploratory research, I have decided that I would like to explore its applications in image analysis and manipulation. Some areas that i have found leads on are in image enhancements (mostly in medical areas), digital image compression, and spectrally filtered fast imaging (SFFI) noise reduction techniques. Obviously, much of the research in these fields is currently beind done with medicine in mind, but the concepts are have a direct link to "consumer" digital photography.

Does anyone know anything on these topics or of any free research databases that have articles relating to these topics?

Thanks

My suggestion is head to a local univserity and grab an image processing book from their library. There should literally be shelves of information on this very topic.

I know one hot topic in image processing is face recognition software. Decomposing thousands of faces into a maybe 5 or 10 eigenfaces, from which you can recognizably build up any of the thousand faces...

the technology is currently used in some dSLR cameras, to automatically focus on the eyes...

not sure if it uses fourier analysis, but certainly uses linear algebra.

I have a friend going to grad school for image processing, if I see him in the next few days and if i remember, i'll ask him for some topics.

Can't help you with resources other than my college textbooks, but as for applications, don't forget astronomy! Besides just basic image analysis or noise reduction, one of the foundations of modern cosmology (the cosmic microwave background) has the bulk of its analysis and interpretation done in Fourier space.

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like I may have to do a little more search before narrowing in on a topic.

Most reactions

Back