Fragile Ink-Jet paper

Orrin

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.orrin.org
I have been using the Canon "Plus Glossy ll" (PP-201) paper since I got my Pixma MP990 printer. The the image quality is excellent, but I find the surface is quite fragile. Water spots don't seen to "recover" after they dry out and even a "post-it" note leaves a permanent smuge on the surface. Regular photo papers (Type R & Type C) are far more resiliant to water and handling abuse.

Can anyone suggest any ink-jet glossy papers that have a more durable surface without too much degradation in the image quality I get with the Canon paper?

How long are you letting it dry before handling it? I believe that the sheet that comes in the box says to dry for 24 hours before handling...

I generally do wait the 24 hours (stored in a dust free area), and haven't had any issues with the same paper.

I do not, however, put post-it notes on them or allow water to get on it... So I have no direct knowledge with what that might do... I have used many other Canon photo (inkjet) papers, as well as Epson and HP.
Honestly, I have a hard time finding any significant deference between them... They all seem to be more or less the same - other than a few differences in texture or weight.

How long are you letting it dry before handling it? I believe that the sheet that comes in the box says to dry for 24 hours before handling...
I generally do wait the 24 hours (stored in a dust free area), and haven't had any issues with the same paper.

I should have mentioned that these are prints that are months old... plenty of ttime to dry. Some of the complaints are from people to whom I have given prints.

so that is my mistake.. i thought my problem was not waiting for at least a day.. did not ensured that it was a dust free area.. inkjet papers seems to be the same no matter what the brand is.. you just have to do the proper process..
inkjetsuperstore ink printer

Last edited:
I have never had any issues with them, but most of mine are matted and framed.

Ask your friends why they are spilling on your photos......

That's the byproduct of inkjet printing. Spots will come if they get wet, colors can run...even long after drying, and they are hard to "clean" if need be. Which is why most print and mat/frame quickly....lol..

Type-R and Type-C- paper are chromogenic print paper. Chromogenic prints aren't made by squirting ink onto the paper like an inkjet does. Chromogenic papere has a 3 layer light sensitive emulsion on the print side of the paper that is exposed with the image to be printed, and then chemically developed. Chromogenic color print - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would say the issue is the ink you're using, not the paper. Check the archival properties of the ink you are using. Apparently you are using aqeous based, non-archival inks rather than solvent based archival inks.

Did you know OEM ink costs about $3000 per litre @ $15 for 5 ml of ink per cartridge?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back