Frame or No Frame for a Gallery

Yes, something like those would work, though frames that wide kind of attract attention away from the image and would cost more than much narrower frames.

You can get custom materials from Documounts. The savings come from just ordering the parts and doing the assembly yourself.

Hinge mount the photos so any buyer can easily change the mat, mount, and framing to suit the decor where ever they will be displaying your work.

To mat your prints it works best if they are on paper that is the same size as the mat, and are oriented on the paper to match the mat window.

Many print labs, like Mpix.com, will trim to size at no additional charge if you order wall size print paper. I have even had multiple images printed on a single paper size, that they have then trimmed for me where I indicated.

The title sounds more obvious than it really is...

So I talked to a local gallery here and they said that they'd like to display a few of my photographs (I have 20 sq. feet to fill) but...I'm not sure how to display them. I know that the conventional way is to mat and frame them, however I was wondering if it would look okay to simply mount them on styrene or foamboard and display them like that?

1st reason for doing this: it's cheap, and I'm currently poor...and I need the photos ready for display by June.

2nd reason: It allows me to show more photos at larger sizes. As in, the display will be close to 100% photo instead of 40% photo and 60% frame/mat

Are those logical reasons? Do unframed photographs look alright (excluding canvas prints lol)? Or would it be better to bite the bullet and frame them?

This gallery is also pretty small and local. It is NOT a super-critically acclaimed gallery. They aren't sticklers about formats, so I basically have freedom to do what I want. I'm just wondering what looks best, and if unframed gallery photographs are generally considered to be tacky or something....

Go to the gallery and look to see how others have their work framed and displayed. If you dont see others doing this then you might want to reconsider. Ask the gallery too. They may not like that.

$7B.jpg

The title sounds more obvious than it really is...

So I talked to a local gallery here and they said that they'd like to display a few of my photographs (I have 20 sq. feet to fill) but...I'm not sure how to display them. I know that the conventional way is to mat and frame them, however I was wondering if it would look okay to simply mount them on styrene or foamboard and display them like that?

1st reason for doing this: it's cheap, and I'm currently poor...and I need the photos ready for display by June.

2nd reason: It allows me to show more photos at larger sizes. As in, the display will be close to 100% photo instead of 40% photo and 60% frame/mat

Are those logical reasons? Do unframed photographs look alright (excluding canvas prints lol)? Or would it be better to bite the bullet and frame them?

This gallery is also pretty small and local. It is NOT a super-critically acclaimed gallery. They aren't sticklers about formats, so I basically have freedom to do what I want. I'm just wondering what looks best, and if unframed gallery photographs are generally considered to be tacky or something....

I think I am a little late for the reply. Actually this is not a reply. I just want to know what did you do finally about the frames and how did exhibition go? Actually I am facing a same situation. One of my clients is going to display his photos in an exhibition but he has no time to get the photos framed as exhibition is just two days away. Is there any solution for the problem. I did not find any suitable answer in the comments that's why I am asking again. Thanks

I'm not married to frames at all. The main thing is consistency. It also helps if the presentation supports the work - if you're doing something minimalist, abstract, hyper-modern, technical/machine-oriented, say, then a minimalist presentation could work very well. If you're doing lush victorian style portraits, you probably want a frame. And so on.

How do you feel about the work? Put the budget aside and ask yourself what would present it best. How do you visualize them hanging. Then figure out how to make that happen within the budget.

I've seen photographs hung in galleries in a variety of ways, framing is only one of them. One guy had large prints simply held at the top edge in clips. Yep, they curled and dangled. That's OK, it worked for the work.

amolitor said:
I'm not married to frames at all. The main thing is consistency. It also helps if the presentation supports the work - if you're doing something minimalist, abstract, hyper-modern, technical/machine-oriented, say, then a minimalist presentation could work very well. If you're doing lush victorian style portraits, you probably want a frame. And so on.

How do you feel about the work? Put the budget aside and ask yourself what would present it best. How do you visualize them hanging. Then figure out how to make that happen within the budget.

I've seen photographs hung in galleries in a variety of ways, framing is only one of them. One guy had large prints simply held at the top edge in clips. Yep, they curled and dangled. That's OK, it worked for the work.

That's what I was wondering, because I think some sort of frameless presentation would work for a set of images that got selected to go into a gallery, and it keeps costs down as well.

I know "you can get a medium size frame for like $30", but when you have 6 or 7 photographs it begins to add up...

Like everything else in photography and indeed art, if you can make it look like you did it ON PURPOSE you're halfway there. The worst case scenario is when it looks like you cheaped out, or picked the easy option because it's easy.

Think outside the box, too! 16x24x2 slabs of concrete? Easy and cheap to fabricate! Kind of a pain to transport. I dunno what the work is or what the gallery is like, but there's definitely work and places that mounting in a cement panel would be Tha ****.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back