Framed gallery advice needed

zoogirlbc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am hoping to combine my two loves, animals and photography and I have had a local pet store offer to let me put up some of my work to promote my business.

I don't want to spend a fortune on this but I want to make it look nice. So far I have 4 - 11x14 frames with 8x10 mats. Will this be enough to start off with? Should I add some 5x7's beside them? What is an ideal number?

Space is an issue too, there is quite a lot of wall space available but mostly spread out throughout the store. I am planning to put up a poster, and leave cards and a few brochures with services, prices etc.

For wall hanging 8x10 is tiny, even in an 11x14 frame.

For display as advertising you want to display the largest images you possibly can.

Just for reference, this is a snap shot of my wall currently.

The smaller three are 8" x 10", the larger image is 14" x 16" and the canvas wrap is 16" x 20"..

Framescomparisonfinal.jpg

FYI - 11 1/2" x 15 3/4" frame and mat from Michael's is ~$10. My print ~$1.00

The 16" x 20" frame and mat is ~$40 from a local camera shop. The 10" x 14" print was ~$11.00 also from the local shop.

Cheers, Don

Cheers, Don

Cool, thanks so much for the example. I'm a very linear person, I want all my frames to line up in neat squares.... so doing something like what you did would require outside input.

I understand but.... try and put yourself in the mind of a potential client and give them a choice.

For instance, the 11" x 14" frame/8" x 10" print could be ~$50, the 16" x 20" frame/10" x 14" print ~$100 and a 16" x 20" canvas wrap ~$175 - $225 depending on who does the wrap and finish coating.

Then add on any commission you may have to pay.

If someone is interested and you have one size and one price they will unconsciously decide whether to buy or not.

If there is a choice they will unconsciously decide Which One To Purchase :)

A subtle difference but it does seem to increase sales.

I also suggest you decide where and how to sign the works. After all they are buying Your Work, not just an image. I sign and date on the mat, bottom right corner. Just large enough to be legible

Good luck with your venture.

Cheers, Don

Sorry I may have worded this wrong. The display is to advertise my photo sessions, not to sell prints of the actual photos.

For wall hanging 8x10 is tiny, even in an 11x14 frame.

For display as advertising you want to display the largest images you possibly can.
I agree.

Being from BC, you might remember who said "Go big or go home".

Go as big as you have room for. Go into the store with a tape measure and find the space you can use.

Here is a 50" x 30" in my living room...and it doesn't even look that big.
Canvas-01.jpg

Sorry I may have worded this wrong. The display is to advertise my photo sessions, not to sell prints of the actual photos.

Ah, then I would go poster size :)

Either a finished work on the top with text below or consider having someone shoot you in the studio shooting a subject. This will show your set up and make it obvious this is the service you are offering.

Cheers, Don

Most reactions

New Topics

Back