Framing / Composition neophyte

Keta

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ketadesign.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The challenge for me is that I rarely get a chance to 'set up' a shot. If I'm close enough to an eagle I just shoot, then deal with the framing later by cropping.
This time I had a chance to put on my small lens, so could try to 'organize' the image slightly. The Heron wouldn't let me get any closer, otherwise it would have been a tighter shot.

f.jpg

Any comments at all would be appreciated!
I like the drama of the wind blowing his feathers, and the play of the weak winter light.

More pics from that day . . . .

Storybook

or is this better ?

f1.jpg

(whups, sorry! I keep posting in the wrong forum! :( )

I certainly do!

telephoto

d.jpg

small lens

g.jpg

Thanks so much! :thumbup: Now you're telling me something I need to know. Anything else??

Keta said:
I certainly do!

telephoto

d.jpg

small lens

g.jpg

Thanks so much! :thumbup: Now you're telling me something I need to know. Anything else??

Ok, i see an eye! this is great, i love the scene, and the pose.. now, the horizon looks a little tilted.. can you correct that?

Extremly important to have a level horizon in any landscape/nature shot.

Raymond J Barlow said:
Extremly important to have a level horizon in any landscape/nature shot.
OH! I did not know that. Hmm, I thought it looked kind of cool, especially in the first one, with the mountains sloping downwards towards to the left. But I look at those hills in person every day so I guess it's different for me!

Thanks so much for the help, guy. :heart: I have some landscape shots being developed today, so I will press for more insight later in the week.

Welcome to the forum.

The first two don't do anything for me...mostly because the bird is head on..which does not give it much shape or detail. Maybe an extreme close-up would work with that angle...but not this shot (IMHO).

The next couple are much better.

Where is that, by the way? It looks very familiar but I don't remember the names too well, since I only visit the coast every few years.

It's Spanish Banks. West of Kits Beach, past MacDonald street, to Dunbar street.
Jericho Beach starts there, and just past that is my eagles' nest. I go as far west of Spanish Banks as I can, right to the start of the University Endowment Lands.

The view is of the north shore mountains.

Most reactions

Back