Framing & portfolio

digitalrightnow

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It might sound kind of stupid but what size frame is the best size for a picture. Basically, if I print a photo at 8 x 10 should I use a 8 x 10 frame? The reason I ask this is say for instance I have a 8 x 10 picture and I also have a 8 x 10 frame, how much of the picture will I lose in the same size frame?

With regards to portfolio creation what photo size is standard? I think I once read that 8 x 10 is standard, however I am not really certain. Also when presenting your photos should I have the white border around my picture? I am finding that most of the photo paper that is available for purchase is 8.5 x 11. I am not really seeing very much 8 xs 10. Is there any shop online where I can purchase 8 x 10 photo paper?

I print on 8 1/2" x 11" photo paper and I bought a paper cutter to cut my prints down to size.

If you are thinking of framing a photo...what usually looks better than using an exact size frame is to use a bigger frame with a mat. So you might buy an 11x14 frame with a mat for an 8x10 photo. Or an 8x10 frame with a mat for a 5x7 photo. You can even learn to cut your own mats and make whatever size you want. You can go a step further and make your own frames as well.

So 8 x 10 is standard portfolio size? How do you use a paper cutter?

I don't know much (anything) about a portfolio. 8x10 is probably a standard size...but if you want to carry around huge prints to show people...go right ahead.

A paper cutter is pretty straight forward...you put the paper down and cut it. There is the guillotine type or the roller type. I spent a bit more and got a roller type.

If your building a portfolio, generally 8X10 matted to 11X14 is used. Some do go bigger though.

I think portfolio size and format is entirely up to and a reflection of your own creativity and style. Any portfolio should be a showcase of your talents and abilities but should also be formatted with the venue you plan to show it in mind.

Most reactions

Back