Framing - What am I doing wrong?

manaheim

Jedi Bunnywabbit
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my framed pictures seem to have ripples or waves in them. (I framed these myself)

I'm clearly doing something wrong, but not sure.

I've taped them to the mat using acid-free tape... I suspect taping them is wrong, but really don't know.

Help? Thanks!

I have anything 11x14 or bigger mounted before it ever goes into the mat. You can do it yourself pretty easily if you really want to. It just might be a good idea to watch someone do it before you try though.

What are the size of the photos? When I matted mine, I did exactly as you said, then used some cheap cardstock cut about 1/6" shy of the mat size and used double sided tape to put it behind the picture to give some support. No ripples!

I also have had luck with spray adhesive, but you have to want that picture on a firm piece of board forever.

Good luck!

Are you taping them on all sides? Professional framers use something called a T-hinge at the top of the photo ONLY that allows for expansion and contraction overtime. That could be the problem. Another way to do it is get those little corner mounts and attach the photo to some foam board first. But always leave room for moisture to expand/contract your photo. Mounting works too. There's two ways to mount- dry and wet mounting.

Wet mounting uses a spray adhesive and Dry mounting is something I'd only trust to a frame shop who does it frequently and has the right materials- personally if your picture isn't very big, mounting is not necessary. If you have all the right materials then it should lie flat.

Knowing what specifically you're doing to it would help narrow down the problem. What are you using for backing board?

Oh T-HINGE...hmmm how to explain. First tape vertically connecting picture to mat. Then tape horizontally along the pictures edge. Depending on the size of the photo- 1-3 of these should be fine.

Thanks everyone.

The pictures are 12x18ish.

I'll go google dry and wet mounting to see what I come up with...

Hm... seems actually like t-hinging may solve my problem and be the easiest overall solution?

Mounting Techniques for Matting and Framing Images

For dry mounting you will need a special press, or find someone to do it for you.

You have found a good site that explains just how to hinge and they are a good company to do business with' (not connected to the company)

Most reactions

Back