Framing

Well I'm wondering what you mean....framing in terms of composition or in terms of putting prints into a "frame frame"?
Anyway, it helps to "frame" the photo with objects bearing colors from within the subject of the image. This usually has a nice effect but you don't always have to stick to it. The same should hold for choosing a frame...Closeup portraits or black and whites tend to look great in silver frames. A frame can add to or take away from the impact of a good photo.
Play with different options and see what you come up with.
Just my 2million bucks.

Pretty Packages That Get You Back in Shape After The Holidays

I used to choose mattes and frames based on the image and it's colors, which can be quite effective, but I've found that I prefer just to get a white matte and black frame for everything now and be consistent, especially since I tend to hang more than one image together and which ones may change.

I agree wholeheartedly with markc. Cutting a custom matte is easy and cheap. Simple black frames can be had at low cost by shopping around. In some instances, such as toned b&w prints, a board that's off-white can work well. In others, a double matte with a color reveal can do the trick.

For me mattes and frames are based on the image, gray matte are my choose for a neutral color, I simple don’t like white mattes

for black and white i almost always go with black frame and a white matte. I prefer the double matte where one is recessed behind another.
I personally also prefer lots of matte space (8x10 in 16x20 frame and the like)

well..if you use film, printing with a black border is a tad bit more trickey ;)

Most reactions

Back