Freak Blizzard; no mountain roadtrip. So here are some mystic stalagmites instead!

Dubious Drewski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was going to take a trip to the mountains today with my local photography club, but the province suddenly iced over. So I took my camera to the back yard instead.

copyofmysticstalagmitesdr5.jpg

Kinda trippy, no?

EDIT: That's my flashgun sitting behind the ice. I didn't add those flares in photoshop or anything.

I don't think the use of flash was really suited to this picture. You lost all details in most of the stalagmites because of over-exposure. Maybe that was intentional, but it does not work for me. Maybe a more subtle lighting would give better results.

Well it was intentional. I cranked up the flashgun to 1/2. It was originally daylight out. The whole point was to emphasize the flaring. Creating a reverse-silhouette was a bonus.

I have some shots where they aren't so blown out, but these looked a little more surreal.

Hey, I love the idea of these pictures. I think it would have been awesome to see more detail though.
Awesome use of flash, just a little too bright I guess...IMO

i don't think it's too bright, i get the effect you were going for and love it, first pic you posted with the link in the second post is my favorite

Quite cool in an absract way :D

Haha about the weather :p
I'm from Saskatoon, but living in Ontario now. So I've made sure to phone and bug my friends out west , hehe.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back