Freakin Timing

AIRIC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.airic.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I had the pleasure today to photograph the Vickers Vimy replica that will re-create the first trans-Atlantic flight by British pilots Alcock and Brown that took place back in 1919. It will be at the Toronto Aerospace Museum for the next few days before flying to Ottawa and then on to St. John Newfoundland where it will set out on a recreation of the first trans-Atlantic non-stop flight to Ireland. The crew flew it in from Oshkosh Wisconsin today and arrived after sunset.

It was very frustrating as there was a golden sun right to the very last ray and when it vanished the Vimy appeared on the horizon and made a few passes before landing. I did the best I could under the trying lighting conditions.

vim3410.jpg

vim2092.jpg

vim2094.jpg

vim3414.jpg

vim2112.jpg

vim2140.jpg

vim2172.jpg

Like a scene from the past people gather to meet the fearless aviators.

More images at Vimy arrival at Toronto
Happy Landings,

Eric

A shame about the sun, Eric, but if you do "what you can under the given conditions", it is always best. And perfect. The third photo could not have been any better! No way!

They're great as they are Eric. I've been to the site where Alcock and Brown landed in Clifden all those years ago - can only imagine what the people of Galway thought when they saw that silhouette in #1 appear on the horizonin 1919. Most of them would never have seen a car, never mind a flying machine.

I find it hard to imagine better pictures even under better lighting. I am amazed that such a plane would even be flown, there cannot be too many around. Not a big plane fan, but I find all these photographs great.

Great work, great plane. The light added to the feel of the shots in my opinion.

the last shot is really neat...looks almost vintage...but i agree with everyone else..these are good, and have no idea how you could improve them...
looking at it, you gotta wonder how in the world that sucker stays up....its so boxy..and looks too "heavy" to lift....unreal....the first pilots really had nerves of steel...what courage.

nice work Eric. even with the tough lighting conditions, you pulled it off wonderfully! the last one is very fitting; great job!

Nice work! I love the look of one and four. I like the treatment in the last as well.

Amazing shots Airic. Even with the lighting conditions, they look great. Do you know if this will be part of the Door Open Toronto tour this weekend. I would love to see it.

Chiller, yes it will be. You should be able to get very close to it even though they will be working like frantic on it. Slated to fly early next week. I have been invited to do some air-to-air with it but I just got a promotion at work and if it is on a week day I may not be able to go :( I will be crying for sure. We also have a group at Brampton that flies WWI aircraft and plan to do a mass formation with all around the CN Tower. I sure hope I can do the air-to-air. It will break my heart if I can't

There is a photo in the Toronto Star as well.
Eric

Thanks Eric. I am going to see if I can find this. I am hoping to cycle downtown, weather permitting, so it is easier to access everything.
I can do the air to air for ya.....:+) Like my shots would even compare to yours. I would probably fall out a window, cause I would be too nervous anyways.
Thanks again buddy.

See that you had very little light by the streetlights visable. Very difficult shooting.

I like the first shot best, gives a feeling of distance, both time and space. Perfect for this aircraft.

Bill

Thanks for all the comments. I know I did great for the lighting but the sun was so sweet last night I easily could have got a cover or feature pics in a mag where as these are just ok. I know I'm hard on myself.

Chiller. The museum is at the north end of Downsview park and the public will be able to access the hangar it is in. Go see it as you will see it in the press soon.

Eric

Most reactions

Back