Free imaging software

tom beard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Many of you have recommended GIMP, but when I looked it up the reviews said that it had "A steep learning curve", like Photoshop. I'm not very computer literate and need a simple, user friendly entry level program so I can learn the basics without throwing my hands up in frustration because I can't figure out which icon to click on. Is there a program around that's simple to use and free? I know I'm asking a lot, but I'm saving for a good camera. Sorry to be such a dummy, but I gotta start somewhere.

Thanks, Tom Beard

Many of you have recommended GIMP, but when I looked it up the reviews said that it had "A steep learning curve", like Photoshop. I'm not very computer literate and need a simple, user friendly entry level program so I can learn the basics without throwing my hands up in frustration because I can't figure out which icon to click on. Is there a program around that's simple to use and free? I know I'm asking a lot, but I'm saving for a good camera. Sorry to be such a dummy, but I gotta start somewhere.

Thanks, Tom Beard

I hate to be like this, but for free you really don't have much choice. But if you're willing to spend about 50 bucks, you can probably find something that will do what you want. I don't think you can find elements for that much, but you might be able to find paint shop or something similar. Especially if you're okay with buying used and/or not getting the latest version. Getting an older version is awesome cause its cheap, still works well, and the books on how to use it are usually discounted because a newer version is out.

Gimp has plenty of tutorials to get going Tom. Don't be afraid, you have to start somewhere. Gimp is a good place to start. Quite powerful for FREE!

Just don't get overwhelmed with it. Start out with one task, like maybe saturation. Then contrast. Sharpening. Learn how to rotate an image...before you know it, you 'll be fine.

Gimp has plenty of tutorials to get going Tom. Don't be afraid, you have to start somewhere. Gimp is a good place to start. Quite powerful for FREE!

Just don't get overwhelmed with it. Start out with one task, like maybe saturation. Then contrast. Sharpening. Learn how to rotate an image...before you know it, you 'll be fine.

THis is what I did with photoshop. The first time I used it I was TERRIFIED to do anything but auto contrast and auto color (lol). I thought I would "mess up" the photo. But as long as you keep your original...original, then what do you have to worry about? Just go crazy! Click on a button just to see what it does! It'll be fun, like throwing paint onto a canvas. :mrgreen:

try photoscape it is free and is very easy , and they have a video which reviews all functions.

Just download Photoshop Trial, each time it expires, uninstall, re install, until you get used to how to use it, then pay

Last edited:
If you just want to adjust color (hue/saturation), contrast and brightness of your images, IrfanView is a very simple editor.

Picasa, Pixia, Photoscape and Paint.NET are all free and relatively easy to use.

You might also want to check out FastStone to see if anything there looks interesting to you.

If you want to give GIMP another go, here's Grokking The GIMP, it's sort of a users manual for GIMP. And then there is always YouTube.

I agree with using ifranview and paint.net. Both are free and pretty easy to use and learn from. once you use them you will realize how much you want something with more options. I just suggest downloading these now and play around with them so when you get your camera you know how to use them well enough. Just make sure you download all the add-ons for them too. If these are to complicated you probably shouldn't be getting a digital camrea or doing any editing at all. If all else fails the software that comes with the camera is usually the most basic you can get.

If you want to know what the icons do........get a book.

"Begining GIMP" From Novice to Professional.... by Akkana Peck

Create, manipulate, and convert professional-quality images witht the powerful GNU Image Manipulation Program.

You can find it and others at www.amazon.com . Check out your local library too.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

THis is what I did with photoshop. The first time I used it I was TERRIFIED to do anything but auto contrast and auto color (lol). I thought I would "mess up" the photo. But as long as you keep your original...original, then what do you have to worry about? Just go crazy! Click on a button just to see what it does! It'll be fun, like throwing paint onto a canvas. :mrgreen:

My favourite way of learning. Just click and see what happens. If it did something crazy, Cmd+Z is your friend. :D (Of course, once you get used to what all the tools do and how they behave, then it's time in my case to pick up a book and learn technique, like retouching, or proper masking...man...I'd been masking all wrong—not using the Refine Edge dialogue—for a while. D'oh!)

Thank you all so much for your friendly support. I'm blown away! I don't think I'm alone in being afraid of trying something new when I can't even pronounce it properly. At least some body isn't offering me a job. I used to be in show business and when they asked, "Do you have any experience in.....?". You always answered yes just to get the gig. I thought I'd get slammed for asking such a stupid question, but you all are so gracious I can't believe it. I seem to have stumbled into exactly the right place, and can't wait to return the favors you've extended to me. I'm downloading GIMP, and crossing my fingers.

Thanks again, Tom Beard

Most reactions

Back