free photos to build up portfolio

white russian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone,

I was hoping to get your opinions on this. I posted some online ads looking for models. I would give them the photos we took, in return for them modeling for me.

I hope this will one help me build my portfolio and two, help me practice working with people and strangers. I also feel like I need to draft up some sort of contract. What do you guys think?

Serg

Hi Sergej, welcome to ThePhotoForum. You must wait for the pro's to come round and see and read your question, I know next to nothing about building portfolios and setting up contracts for possible clients. When I need release from some, I usually draft a text on the spot and have them sign, but then no one I have ever photographed in my life has actually really modelled for me in the true sense of the word.

But - I've been to your blog and must say liked what I saw, though the presentation is a bit ... challenging for someone my age and with my eye-sight. Anyhow ... nice ones in your PB-slideshows (I've never tried their slide shows so far). You no longer live in Belarus?

Can you post some more details or links to your ads. I Ask because it can be a slightly sketchy deal if the model is not experienced or worse immature. A release is important because you will have to figure out the usage of the photos by photographer and model.

I recently joined Model Mayhem and hope to use that resource to build a fashion portfolio.

Love & Bass

I understand your concept here, but I don't think it's going to work out quite the way you are anticipating. However as I lack experiance in photographing models I could be mistaken.

The concept of Free Photos to build a portfolio works well in automotive, product photography and the like where the one infront of the camera is not likely going to be paid for their services, only exceptions being by third party, in witch you have to get a hold of the third party or amature models with no experiance looking to do the same thing of building their portfolio. Never the less when people are going to be infront of your camera for any specific purpose you should cave some formal contract and release form.

absolutely!! freebies is a great way to learn your craft and, as you said, learn how to work with a client. I have been in business for 15 years and nwo and again I still do freebies....especially at slow times of the year...it always works into more business!

Most reactions

Back