Free Programs That I Use

ComputerWhiz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
wbsnapshots.tumblr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Since I don't really want to spend tons of money on software for image editing, I am always on the hunt for great free programs.
These free programs do the same as the paid ones, maybe just a little more work is involved.

Here is a list of all of the free programs that I love to use and that I highly recommend that you download.
  • Google's Picasa - Great simplistic photo effects, retouching, cropping and straightening
  • GIMP - Known to many as the best free Photoshop alternative
  • OpenOffice (Draw) - Great for image overlaying and color replacement
  • Blender (3D visual effects) - Great for adding 3D objects to your image
If you have anymore suggestions for free programs, feel free to post them below.

Umm, for what Operating System ? I am assuming you mentioning MS Windows.

For Linux there is:
Darktable
Shotwell
digiKam
Fotoxx
and of course GIMP/Gimpshop

Yes, I am referring to Windows.
I am a Windows XP user myself, but that by no way means that you cannot post programs for other operating systems.
That is exactly what I am hoping will happen because of my lack of of the Mac and Linux operating system.

I run a Linux system for photography, using primarily the following:

UFRAW -- RAW converter
GIMP -- Interactive editor
ImageMagick -- Command line editor

FastPictureViewer
Irfanview - terrific portable Win app for minor edits and slideshows
Picture Information Extractor - of its in there, PIE will squeeze it out

Big fan of Bulk Rename Utility - works great for changing file names after import. Other than that most of what I use was purchased rather than free.

Bulk rename and Bulk resize!!

It made my wedding images 1/10th of the original size - perfect for sending to family and friends and putting on one of those electronic photo frames!

I think everything I use has been mentioned. GIMP can also do bulk/batch editing - resizing, renaming - that sort of thing. Through CLI only though, I think (if you're going to batch resize a folder, you don't need to actually SEE the pictures anyway, so CLI is fine).

Ha - There are only two programs on my computer that aren't free. TurboPrint, for the Canon printer drivers; and Kerbal Space Program, a game.

Last edited:
Irfanview is what I use most often for cropping and resizing. I resize in bulk when putting images on my web site.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back