free service

sean300

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I need some opinions

Do you guys think that it's a good idea if I offer my free service so that I could just gain the experience?

I'm still new to the photography world. Well I have been taking pictures for a very long time but I just dont have enough real world experience you know. I was thinking of offering free service for graduations, weddings, birthdays, etc. Is that a good idea?

I have been paid to do weddings in the past but I dont think that I got much experienced from it.

I have a Canon 30D and a Digital Rebel, along with many 35mm manual and automatic film cameras.

I would only expect clients to pay for film or prints.

So what do you think? Good idea or no?

Welcome to the forum.

That might be a great idea to gain some experience and build your portfolio...but be aware that doing things for free or giving things away can often lead to problems.

People tend to associate the value of something with what it costs them...so if your service doesnt cost them anything, they won't think of it as valuable and won't respect what you are doing. When you combine this with the fiasco that a wedding can be...this may end up being bad for you.

If you at least charge a bit for your service, they will see that your time & expertise has value and you can lay out exactly what they get for their money.

Most reactions

Back