TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Northeastern University, originally from Philly
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I'm going to be doing some studio-style portrait shooting at my school over the next couple weeks using a friend's D70, and would love to find a way that I can set it up so that I can view the images download immidiately to my computer when I take a shot. I have searched around a bit, and all the solutions I can find involve expensive software (like Nikon Capture, Capture One, and Bibble Pro). I am wondering if anyone knows of any free software that can do this for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Unimaxium said:
Hi,

I'm going to be doing some studio-style portrait shooting at my school over the next couple weeks using a friend's D70, and would love to find a way that I can set it up so that I can view the images download immidiately to my computer when I take a shot. I have searched around a bit, and all the solutions I can find involve expensive software (like Nikon Capture, Capture One, and Bibble Pro). I am wondering if anyone knows of any free software that can do this for me? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just noticed that bibble has a free trial for download. It will be timebombed or may have some features disabled but you could try a free trial for the day or so that you need it.

Im almost positive that Nikon will let you download a 30 day trial of Nikon Capture.

However, there is a down and dirty way to do it for free. First you will have to decide whether you are shooting Jpeg or Raw. If you shoot Jpeg this is easier.

All you have to do is hook up the D70 to your PC. The computer should recognize the camera, if not you may need to install Nikons Picture Project that came with the camera. Once the camera is recognized and installed on you PC go to My Computer and click on the D70 icon. This will open a folder, it will show what ever files are on the CF card. As you take a picture a new file will be loaded to the card, but you will be able to see it on the PC as a new file as well. By clicking on the file your PC will open Window Picture and Fax viewer. This will display your photo.

If you choose to shoot with RAW then there is another step that you need to do. Since Windows does not normally display these files you will need to download Microsofts Raw Image viewer (which you can get from Microsofts web site) or if you had to install Picture Project to recognize the camera then it can display your Raw Photos.

My suggestion would be to download the trial of Capture and save yourself the grief.

kfoster said:
Im almost positive that Nikon will let you download a 30 day trial of Nikon Capture.

However, there is a down and dirty way to do it for free. First you will have to decide whether you are shooting Jpeg or Raw. If you shoot Jpeg this is easier.

All you have to do is hook up the D70 to your PC. The computer should recognize the camera, if not you may need to install Nikons Picture Project that came with the camera. Once the camera is recognized and installed on you PC go to My Computer and click on the D70 icon. This will open a folder, it will show what ever files are on the CF card. As you take a picture a new file will be loaded to the card, but you will be able to see it on the PC as a new file as well. By clicking on the file your PC will open Window Picture and Fax viewer. This will display your photo.

If you choose to shoot with RAW then there is another step that you need to do. Since Windows does not normally display these files you will need to download Microsofts Raw Image viewer (which you can get from Microsofts web site) or if you had to install Picture Project to recognize the camera then it can display your Raw Photos.

My suggestion would be to download the trial of Capture and save yourself the grief.

This is good news. :) I was under the impression that you needed special software for the camera to take pictures and load them to the card while being tethered. But if the shots will automatically become available on the card while I'm shooting, then I know a way that I can set them to automatically download and open on my computer as they become available (I'm on a mac, and things like that are easy ;) ). Thanks for the help; I'll be sure to give this a try.

Most reactions

Back