Freelance Jobs for Minors = Illegal?

Hee hee, why not stir up some POSITIVE trouble for the school.

Not you, but get someone to alert a local newspaper or community broadsheet. They are always hungry for free stories. Don't mention a THING about the troubles you are experiencing - the angle the paper should take is that your school is such a great place for providing a foundation for the lives of its students that ALREADY they have a boy wonder photographer, who is saving for an expensive career that he has already chosen because the school has made such a mature young man of him at SUCH a young age.

Who'd have thought that that our local school was so good that one of their students is earning that much already, and isn't spending it on Xbox games, rather he is ploughing all back into his college ambitions. Ya gotta hand it to the young 'un, he has drive, but what a good school it must be to help him on his way, blah blah woof woof, brownie points to the school, extra publicity to your business, and a chance to maybe get some of your work published publicly. You could maybe eventually, with the permission of your customers to use "their" photos, get an exhibition mounted in the school or a local community centre.

I can just see the school struggling to say "Yes he is doing so well that we have decided to expel him if he doesn't stop"

But another point that has to be considered:

Have you done anything to annoy this counsellor, deliberately or unwittingly? Apart from earning so much while still at school - you probably have more disposable income than a lot of adults who have kids and mortgages etc, and jealousy is a very strong emotion. (I am jealous of you. Not for your cash, if I had it I would waste it, because it is ME who is immature that way, even at 57. I am jealous of your talent, and the fact that you know what you want in life. I never have.... awww, bless)

But have you challenged authority, sought to sell your services in school time, acted in any rebellious way? etc etc

Some adults can be pretty vengeful towards uppity kids, and nothing helps them more than having a uniform, or a nice "title", or a tiny bit of power. Maybe you need to start tugging your forelock a bit more, and not rattle anyone's cage. One problem with being young and talented is that it can make you confident, something that can appear arrogant and presumptuous to someone stressed and frustrated with their own life.

Offer help, maybe running a camera club at school, creating a school web newsletter, or printed newspaper with your photos in it. All staff at the school get 10% off the work you do for them. Parents of other pupils get 5%. Whatever helps you through the last 6 months is worth the effort, and legal redress is not a great option really, as the school will send comments about you to your future college.

Nope, I've never advertised at school, although several teachers have framed/signed prints of mine in their classrooms. But those transactions were done online, through paypal, and never at school.

The woman who told me this was the Career Center supervisor - the one that handles work permits and such. She's the one that an "Aspiring" young person would go to when looking for a minimum wage job.

Aaah

We had on of those at my school, back in 1964, the year I left.

Our exchange went, roughly:

"Well Peter, what do you want to do?"

"I want to be a chemistry lab technician."

"There are a lot more jobs in office work, I recommend you do that"

My parents agreed, and I don't think my career ever got off the ground from then on.

But anyway, I would keep doing outside work, and wait for them to sue you. But what do you think of my "positive publicity" idea?

Can you imagine the newspapers?
School sues kid for doing work, or School sues kid for trying to start a career...the papers will love it...
Infact...next time you see your councellor, say
"IVe been meaning to talk to you...what do you think of? School sues kid for starting his career? catchy...yah think?"

Or better newline

"Kid Photographer sues school for millions, after ruining his bright photographer future"

I hate those concousler that thinks they know everything.

Good Luck.

17 and a payed photographer man im 14 and just got a good camera iny help
on getting to were ure at would be great.as far as your problem fight to the death get alot of people on ure side techers parents kids and go to the schoolbord.cheak the laws first because thats a load of crap thx

sign latham

Sorry to sound pompous Latham, but I think the best advice for you, at 14, is to really study hard, and practice your photography as a hobby, or on the basis that you take photos for the family and they pay for the materials.

I am interested to know a bit more about you - do you do a lot of drawing, or art, for example. I say all this because my youngest son had considerable talent as an artist at a very early age, asked for a camera of his own before he was 10, and has often been commissioned to do art work for other people.

To really make a living in photography, the artistic talent is more important than the camera, in my opinion. In my case, no matter how much I spend on cameras, I still seem to take rubbish photos!

Just in case, thought this reference might be of help and provide some insight.

Today, thousands of young people are stepping into the world of work performing vital jobs for
employers before and after school, on weekends, and during school breaks, holidays, and vacations.
Being gainfully employed is just one of the many steps a young person takes in their role as a
contributing and productive member of society.
The intent of the Legislature in enacting the child labor laws is to enable young people to
gain work experience and earn income in a safe and healthy environment where their welfare is
protected and formal education not impaired. To foster this environment, California has developed a
system of work permits and occupational restrictions and prohibitions that have been in place and
proved successful since 1915. This digest summarizes the laws and regulations governing the issuance
of permits to employ and to work, compulsory school attendance, age limitations, work hours, and
occupations permitted and forbidden to young workers. It also describes the penalties for violations of
the child labor laws.

California Child Labor Laws - 2000

Page 5:

Minors who are self-employed do not require permits.
Minors irregularly employed in odd jobs in private homes, such as baby-sitting, lawn
mowing, and leaf raking, do not need to obtain a Permit to Employ and Work.

Edited:
Just notice you've seen a lawyer... guess you don't need this afterall, but I'm leaving it incase it helps anyone else.

Kodan_Txips said:
Aaah

We had on of those at my school, back in 1964, the year I left.

Our exchange went, roughly:

"Well Peter, what do you want to do?"

"I want to be a chemistry lab technician."

"There are a lot more jobs in office work, I recommend you do that"

My parents agreed, and I don't think my career ever got off the ground from then on.

But anyway, I would keep doing outside work, and wait for them to sue you. But what do you think of my "positive publicity" idea?

My guidance counselor sucked, too. I remember her asking me what I wanted to do for a living, and she really discouraged me. Gee, thanks a friggin lot for having faith in me.

Most reactions

Back