fresh beginner wanting HDSLR

sileemonuts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok just to let you guys know, i worked at circuit city selling cameras and learned alot about SLRs and DSLRs and at that time, i knew the difference between all the cameras. Since, i have forgotten most of it. Just the fact that the D40/40x are the go to cameras for beginners.

But I really want to immerse myself into this field basically for my own pleasure.
I read sabbath999's post about not buying the D40/40x and realized i actually want a HDSLR because i know i want to make videos and post a couple videos on youtube and i remember when the D90 first came out with it and i was really excited to check it out but circuit city went down the drain.

I know this might be VERY common but (even tho i most likely might go with the D90) who has a better HDSLR; nikon or canon(and which ones)

im planning on buying one in the next couple months, im saving up money and looking for a job, i just want to make sure i know what im buying before i drop alot of money for this. i really appreciate it guys and gals

Just the fact that the D40/40x are the go to cameras for beginners.

Really? I thought the Nikon entry level was the D90 or D3100 ish...

As for Canon... The t2i is quite popular...

But I am far from an expert.... this is what I have heard.

who has a better HDSLR; nikon or canon

Neither is better. They are both very good options. I personally am a Canon shooter. But Nikon is very popular as well.

Really? I thought the Nikon entry level was the D90 or D3100 ish...

from my experience i hear all the time its the D40/40x, but to be honest expert or not, i would like to hear from personal experience

since your more of a canon guy busrider, what are the HDSLRs out there for canon

Well as I said... the Canon T2i is very popular... Any of the Rebel's would be great for entry level I think..

I own the 50D... which has been replaced by the 60D. These are rated as "Semi Pro"... And I am very pleased. The 50D has a metal construction, is relatively heavy and has a very solid feel to it. The 60D is plastic... To eah his own...

I strongly suggest that before you make a decision, you hold the camera and "play" with the buttons and dials.

Both Canon and Nikon are very good cameras. But the feel and your comfort with the controls will make the difference.

And realize that the HD video capabilties are totaly different from what a normal P&S or videocam will do.
The video function on a DSLR is more like a pro video cam.
You can play with DOF.
Focussing should be done manually, because at least on the T2i it is pretty lousy when in autofocus.
The microphones that are built in will pick up the smallest sound of the AF motor and
such

So if you are trying to be a cinematographer.....go for it. If you are looking to shoot HD vids of the kids.....good luck.

from my experience i hear all the time its the D40/40x, but to be honest expert or not, i would like to hear from personal experience

since your more of a canon guy busrider, what are the HDSLRs out there for canon

perhaps some time is passed since you worked on that: D40 has been discontinued in 2009, substituted by d3000, substituted by d3100. The latter has full HD capabilities with some limitation.

As Bus Rider said, video with a dSLR is not so easy to do. You need an external microphone to avoid noise. d3100 does not have an external input. T2i is the cheapest Canon with full HD.
Here the video pages on DPreview, for both:
Nikon D3100 Review: 15. Live View and Movie Mode: Digital Photography Review
Canon EOS 550D / Rebel T2i Review: 20. Movie Mode: Digital Photography Review

lol you saying you worked for CircuitCity makes the rest of the post makes sense...

Firstly, there's no such thing as an "HDSLR". Secondly, the D40/40x are absolutely not starter cameras anymore...they're relics. The "new to photography" cameras for Nikon are probably the D90 or D3100.

Now, as for the "which is better" question...it's dangerous to ask a question like that on a photography forum. Canon and Nikon *both* make fantastic cameras and you can't go wrong either way. Which is better? It really depends on what you're going to use it for and your tastes. They can both do just about anything you want to do but they just do it in different ways (the menu system and such is different). I'd suggest trying out both brands in person while trying not to inject your own bias (of things you've heard or been told). Find what you like and go with it.

Best thing you can do is find the local camera store and tell them off the bat you're not interested in buying that day (so they're not constantly trying to sell you crap) but that you wanted some of their information on what the bodies can do and the specifications. Don't be wowed by high Mp cameras...it's not required. What you want to look for is the best low-light performance...and in that realm the T2i reigns quite easily over the D3100 and D90 (mostly because it uses the same processor and mostly the same sensor as the 7D...although the 7D has 2 processors). Then it comes down to what kind of body do you want...magnesium alloy or plastic.

Here are the models you'll want to look at: Nikon D3100, Nikon D90, Canon T2i, Canon 50D (used is the only way you'll find it but might be worth it), or even Canon 40D if you want to get one a bit cheaper with quite good performance.

Most reactions

Back