Friend's Wedding - C&C Appreciated

#1. Color Cast Issue (may be yellow?)
#2. Does nothing for me, all I see is their backs :)
#3. I prefer a "sharper" image and perhaps converting it to Black & White.
#4. Cute little boy but to me, it seems like he's falling out of the picture and I would have preferred some eye contact (that's HARD to do!).
#5. Too much of an extreme angle for me, a slight angle would have been fine. White can be hard to photograph (blow out), so good job on that! :)
#6. & 6.5 I like these, no comments.
#7. #8. #9 #10. definitely got the sky blown out. Perhaps here a speedlite or using your on board flash would have worked a little better for you, you could have lowered the exposure some so that you didn't blow out the sky but would have still been able to get good exposure of their faces, etc. The background sky to me is very distracting, I have the VERY same issue myself, I have a hard time with this one and I can't really help you on that but to say a speedlite might become your friend here...except, it's a "monster" to learn and I would only get it when you have almost mastered your camera.

Were you the only photographer there? or where you a second shooter photographer? :)

Yes, there is a definite yellow cast in the picture. On my desktop and laptop I don't see it as badly but now on another computer, its definitely more pronounced. I'll have to go back and fix that. Thanks for the critique. I'm going to play with the one with the back of her dress and see what else I come up with!

I was the only photographer there, yes. Since I am learning, they asked me if I would mind doing the photos. I told them I wouldn't mind but not to expect anything marvelous as I've never shot a wedding before and am still learning. I got quite frustrated though as I wanted to get the group shots done and out of the way (even got there EARLY as requested to do them and they never got around to it) and during the reception there were some really great times to get the shots done as the lighting was perfect and I could not get them to do it. They wanted to do other things & visit with people. Was quite frustrating for me...:x

But it was a learning experience, nevertheless!

Bump....

119 views and only one critique? These must really suck ....

I didn't post anything before because I didn't wanna be picking on two wedding threads in a row, but you really seem to want the critique...

1. The color is off, the angle is not to my liking, and the beer glasses or whatever really take away from it.
2. Everyone's back is to the camera, except the people that are fuzzed out... that just kinda doesn't work for me. Also, frankly, the bride's back isn't the most complimentary shot given the way the dress fits her.
3. Fine, I guess, but a little out of focus?
4. Fine, I guess. Odd angle, but whatever.
5. Wasn't very sharp on the focus so some of the detail is lost... also looks like you had to underexpose a bit to compensate for the white, which makes her back look dark. It's kind of a "yikes I'm falling!" angle again, but that's just a style choice.
6. Had potential, but I think "didn't quite make it"... focus is a bit off. The depth of field is super shallow, but I think it works in this case... I think the composition just needed a bit of work--- maybe have the foreground subject more off to the side or something. The lighting is nice, though.
6.5. Not sure what you did here but that angle and the look on the flowers is weird.. really up close with a wide angle lense or something?
7-10. REALLY massively washed out skies and underexposed or blotted out subjects... esp. when you have the chance to pose someone, have it so the sun is at your back or off to the side at your back a bit. Obviously try not to have blaring sun in people's faces to avoid squinting and whatnot, pictues in the shade are best if you can do it. (assuming you cant see a crazy bright sky beyond, of course). Also... posed shots tend to be really stiff... these look like the ones my grandma likes to take in front of her curtains at her house... "Ok, now Johnny with Uncle Clem... ok, now Johnny with Aunt Rose..."
11. What's with the bag???

Manaheim-
Thank you for the crit! I'm not going to improve unless people tell me what I'm doing wrong and what I can do to improve. I actually went back and edited the cake shot again to get rid of the yellow tint. I do like the angled shots but I am aware that they are a style of choice. The posed shots of them, I am so disappointed in because they sky is so blown out. Unfortunately there weren't any other locations to shoot at that had a nice background and if I had waited any longer, I wouldn't have had any light at all. I really really wanted those to work and sadly, they don't but I think that she'll be happy with them anyway. With the last shot, that isn't one I'm giving her as it is my parents but that is my purse! It's pretty massive in size and since I don't have a camera bag, I was using that as my bag that night. We just didn't move it out of the way for the picture! I just wanted to show the rainbow that we had that night! Anywho - thanks so much for the critique!!!! I appreciate it more than you know!

No problem... I'm glad you didn't get mad. :lol:

btw, I didn't think to mention it before, but if you have the raws you might be able to pull off a composite of the image with a darker sky and bright foreground subjects.

If you don't have RAWs you can still "fake it" with some work.

Neither of these things is easy, and it's pretty common to wind up with an odd image when you're done, but it's a good skill to practice regardless... for those "just in case" situations.

Most reactions

Back