Friend's wedding -poses??

Kaleighx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so my friend is getting married before he fiancee goes to iraq. The plan at first was a justice of the piece (she is pregnant right now) and when he comes home have the whole ceremony and reception. Change of plans.
Now they are going to have an intimate ceremony and reception at their grandparents home and asked a huge favour for me to take pictures. I told them I wouldnt mind doing candid pictures because I am somewhat unconfident, but I feel like everyone deserves memories. I understand how hard it is, but they just DO NOT have the money to hire a professional and only want pictures to remember the day. No matter how much I've talked them into getting a professional, with two kids, they just really don't! I am going to have my friend come with me as a second shooter with her camera equipment. hopefully we can get twice as many chances to get some good pictures! I'm going to make due with what I have and hopefully make up any faults in photoshop (photoshop I'm pretty confident about! haha :lol:)

Well my question is this... I'm terrible at directing people! I mean I have a decent eye for candid pictures at the ceremony and reception, but they want some posed ones with the maid of honor/best man/bride/groom/their son etc. I am absolutely CLUELESS what to do!!

The good and bad thing about this is that I know all of them really well so I feel a little awkward saying "Okay kiss now while the moh and best man smile in the background"

So any suggestions/tips/pose ideas? I am basically just going to ransack galleries of wedding pictures and jot down some ideas. I know for certain they want some typical pictures, but nothing stiff. I want some fun ideas! Creative ideas! Some ideas to get me going and excited!

thank you all so much! :)

PS if it helps... the ceremony will be outside on a great piece of land with an apple orchid. Her dress is simple and there will be a tented reception. Her first son is the ring bearer.

Look at magazines, look at websites and get an idea what will work and what wont.

Try and head to the place early to check out locations, know how many people will be in the pictures, and mentally place them. So when comes time to actually doing the shoot, you don't have as much guessing.

My worry is with your equipment and lack of light. You said its at the home? Try and find places outdoors to pose them and not indoors. Your camera doesnt do great high ISO and all you have as fast lens is the 1.8, which may be a bit long shooting indoors.

So yeah, scope out places outside and shoot there as opposed to indoors.

Look into renting a flash unit (430 EX II or something) and bounce the flash off the ceiling / walls.

Can I recommend a highly talented young lady who is a professional photographer and that I personally know, that lives in the Boston area and could do a proper job for your friend? Her prices are reasonable and she may even offer "service men discounts".

PM me if you are more interested in getting results your friend deserves rather than letting an uncertain less experienced amateur handle it. ;)

Most reactions

Back