Friends

Machine May

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.tracymilburn.com
Friends.jpg

Can't you tell from the picture that they're discussing the bycycle? If not, I wonder what I could have done to convey that... she's looking downat his bike, and he is too.

to me it looks like a quick snap shot. I dont feel anything from it.

sorry.

Machine May said:
jadin said:
One suggestion is to not look down on your subjects, even if you are taller.

Really? I've seen many, many photographs that looked down on the subject; how about the hoola girl, there's one right there...

I think the angle just depends on the individual photograph. For this particlar one I think getting on their level and having the boy and bike turned toward the woman so that you can see at least some of the boy's face would have made a bigger impact. For me, portrait photography is stronger when you can get a sense of emotion from the subjects. Because I can't see the boys face I don't know if he's happy, sad, etc.

Machine May said:
jadin said:
One suggestion is to not look down on your subjects, even if you are taller.

Really? I've seen many, many photographs that looked down on the subject; how about the hoola girl, there's one right there...

It's hula. As in "Hula Hoop" - a recent post of mine.

("Sigh...") It's so nice to be remembered...

Tuna

another tip is to be aware of your background, which can easily make or break a picture. Your background does absoulty nothing for the picture and therefore becomes a distraction. Also try to straighten out the image in the viewfinder before clicking.

The hula hoop picture is a great picture for many reasons. Tuna captured only what was essential to the photo. The tone and contrast were suberub. Tuna was able to catch motion, excitement and fun without even having to see the girls face which made it more interesting. And yes there are times to break the rules on very few occassions and the hula hoop was one of those times.

We are all here to learn and enjoy, keep trying, honest critism can only make you better..

Cruzin said:
another tip is to be aware of your background, which can easily make or break a picture. Your background does absoulty nothing for the picture and therefore becomes a distraction. Also try to straighten out the image in the viewfinder before clicking.

The hula hoop picture is a great picture for many reasons. Tuna captured only what was essential to the photo. The tone and contrast were suberub. Tuna was able to catch motion, excitement and fun without even having to see the girls face which made it more interesting. And yes there are times to break the rules on very few occassions and the hula hoop was one of those times.

We are all here to learn and enjoy, keep trying, honest critism can only make you better..

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Tuna said:
It's hula. As in "Hula Hoop" - a recent post of mine.

("Sigh...") It's so nice to be remembered...

Tuna

Who could forget? I showed that pic to my wife... it was really cool, and I don't usually like b/w pix. Were you upstairs looking out of a window by the way?

Cruzin said:
Your background does absoulty nothing for the picture and therefore becomes a distraction.

I would agree with that if this was a traditional portrait that was "set up" but most of what I like when it comes to people is natural, impromptu photography, not stuff that's set up and "fake." When it comes to shooting people, I like capturing what the real moment is about, rather than making it up. Is that wrong or less "pure"?

Machine May said:
When it comes to shooting people, I like capturing what the real moment is about, rather than making. Is that wrong or less "pure"?

Absolutely not wrong or un-pure in any sense! That's my style as well, to capture the moment as it happens, and preferably to remain unseen by the subjects. What I tend to do is move myself to get a better shot vs. asking the subject to move. Especially with my sons, if they know they are being photographed they make it exceedingly difficult :) I try a lot of different angles to have a good selection later on for editing.

AlisonS said:
Machine May said:
When it comes to shooting people, I like capturing what the real moment is about, rather than making. Is that wrong or less "pure"?

Absolutely not wrong or un-pure in any sense! That's my style as well, to capture the moment as it happens, and preferably to remain unseen by the subjects. What I tend to do is move myself to get a better shot vs. asking the subject to move. Especially with my sons, if they know they are being photographed they make it exceedingly difficult :) I try a lot of different angles to have a good selection later on for editing.

Allison, I feel the same way, esp. when it comes to people. For bugs, still life, landscape, and most everything, I'm with everyone else on here, I like a really beautiful photo, artsy and meaningful, etc. But to me what makes people different is that they're people and "catching" the dynamic of a moment is what makes photographing people so fun. Like you, I don't even want them to know I'm there.

I do agree that it would have been nice to catch more of my son's face in that shot though... too bad I couldn't. Thanks for the input

Most reactions

New Topics

Back