Friends

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys,

This is another shot from this past weekend on a farm camping trip. This is a combination of 3 exposures, so slightly HDR but not fully because as you can see there are areas of the tractor that are not well exposed but I'm okay with that because I like the end result. What do you think?

Thanks!

Attachments

• $Friends.jpg
    $Friends.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 115
I thought one of the points of HDR is to avoid this kind result by exposing for both the shadows and the highlights.
I think you might have been better served by the use of fill flash. Still too much loss of shadow detail as well as blown sky.

That's why I'm not considering this an HDR picture....

That's why I'm not considering this an HDR picture....

Regardless, it's still too dark to see what you find appealing. A little shadow recovery helps it some (in my opinion).
It is a nice effect, it's just too underexposed to get a good sense of it.
I would also try a desaturated version as opposed to a complete monochrome.

i-XVxG7Bw-L.jpg

I don't want it looking that unrealistic. I only just barely did SOME HDR to get the look that I wanted. But I like yours also, thanks for the input!

Just enough HDR to make the faces look over-dodged and odd looking.

This would be more effective if you did any of the following:

- allow the light to fall as it did, and render the people more as silhouettes
- apply a little more processing to make the light look more naturalistic throughout - open up the tractor shadows as well, to match the faces
- go full on HDR and crush the directionality of light as sleist did (or similar)

Make a stylistic choice and follow through. The current image just looks wrong. You don't want to commit to a direction, but you do want to make everyone's face show up.

The original looks drastically under-exposed. It just looks simply "bad". Three out of three people are telling you the image needs to be lighter, but you profess to like it the way it is. I can deal with that. I LOVE that old Ford tractor!!! I have actually driven an old Ford tractor, as well as some old Massey-Harris and Massey-Ferguson and John Deer tractors of that vintage...there's something about those old, small gas-powered tractors that really has a genuinely "American" feel...and the old hay wagon with wooden bed and those same old wheels!!! ...brings back memories of my youth.

Thanks guys for the input. Here is a less extreme compromise I've come up with. What do you think?

Attachments

• $NewTractor.jpg
    $NewTractor.jpg
    511.6 KB · Views: 57
Thanks guys for the input. Here is a less extreme compromise I've come up with. What do you think?

Still very very underexposed where it matters, the subjects and their faces. 2 stops or more. You may want to look into monitor calibration if that photo looks exposed correctly on your monitor.

No, it looks underexposed in the preview for some reason but when you look at the image full size, it looks good!

Even in full size, the faces of the people are barely recognizable.

Ha, okay. Either you guys have sucky monitors, I have an inverse monitor, or somebody is blind because it definitely looks good on my end. Oh well.

Just look at the histogram. You're all highlights and darks (both blown) with very few midtones.
When was the last time you calibrated your monitor?

I imagine if you tried to print this it would look very different from what you see on your screen - provided the lab didn't attempt to fix it for you first.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back