From Cold to Hot?

AnthonyCorbo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been reading many threads on the issue of using your DSLR in the cold and then bringing it inside your home. What do you guys or girls think? Is it ok to bring your DSLR in the cold weather, will the screen and lenses be fine and is it ok to expose it to a warm temperature after i've read it cause foggy lenses.
So it it ok to shoot outside and then go inside a warm home, if not what can you do to tranfer the camera safely?
Thanks in advance:thumbup:

i read to stick your camera in a plastic bag before you come in, and leave it for a few hours to slowy warm to room temp
so i bring a bag out with me now and do that when i come in, and so far its all been fine.
lenses i will just leave in the camera bag closed for a few hours, as it stays quite cold insie my bag when i bring in inside if i leave it.

It doesn't matter how fast it warms up or how cold it is when you first bring it in or how warm it is where you are bringing it into.

You put it in a sealed (ziplock) bag too keep the humidity in the warm environment from condensing.

Inside the home or other heated living space is moisture, a lot more moisture than the outside air in the winter. The same thing when you wear glasses and go inside to have them fog up from condensation of the moist air will happen to your camera. If you put your camera inside a sealed bag while you are outside, you are also filling that bag with the same cold dry air as outside.

By bringing it into the house this way, you keep the moist air away from the cold camera until the camera is warm enough that the moisture will no longer condense. It's not the temperature extremes that is the problem, it is the difference of moisture in the air.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back