From DSLR to Mirrorless?

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by Ilina Alexandru, May 31, 2019.

?

Which one, but why?

1. Fujifilm X-T2

66.7%
  2. Sony A7 II

33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ilina Alexandru

Ilina Alexandru TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello!
    At the moment I own a Nikon D300 camera, it was my first camera, but now I want to invest in another body and a few lenses (atleast a wide one and a portrait lens).
    It's so hard for me to decide to choose from Sony A7 II and Fujifilm X-T2. I'll use the choosen camera for more "types" of photography, but the main types are portrait, events (wedding, christening, parties etc.) but aswell as for my hobby (street, night, maybe landscapes etc.). I mean, a camera which I can use in every situation.
    Video mode isn't that important for me, but it's good to have it.
    I'd prefer the Fuji, because of the 2 card slots, but now I want to hear your recommandations.
    And of course, you can recommand me other cameras.

Or maybe I should stay with DSLRs? Just upgrade to full-frame?

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  2. ronlane

ronlane What's next? Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I've not shot the Sony A7ii but I have shot the Fuji X-T2. I have a number of friends around me that are going to the Fuji system for portrait and even work. I shot an event with a couple of friends that use the Fuji and I like the results and the bodies. (I actually shot with one all night for one of those events.)

They are turning my head to the possibility of going mirrorless for my portrait and landscape and street work.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ilina Alexandru

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you for your answear, I've heard a lot of great things about APS-C Fuji's :586:

• Like Like x 1
  4. ronlane

ronlane What's next? Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You're welcome. I am thinking that I will be going to a FF mirror-less Canon when I go.

5. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello and welcome, I had all Nikon gear for very many years. Just over two years ago I switched to mirrorless and have never looked back.....

• Like Like x 1
  6. Soocom1

Soocom1 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Personally my choice would be the Sony.
    but I am one of the weird types that sees low ISO, and certain other aspects.

But I also like weight and size (given my hand size).

• Like Like x 1
  7. TreeofLifeStairs

TreeofLifeStairs No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I’m also a Sony user. I’m completely happy with their product line but I’ve heard others complain that their lenses are a bit pricey. They may be right but I see value in them. I own the 85mm 1.4 GM lens and the 18-35mm 2.8 GM lens (I shoot architecture for money, and my family for fun). Keep in mind that all the GM lenses are pretty large so the small body is pretty much nullified.

You could always use other brand lenses with the body if you prefer. The a7ii that I have has in body stabilization so other non stabilized lenses would still benefit.

I think in the end you’d be happy with a Fuji too. The aps-c sensor will work better if you want to keep the lens size down. Plus you have the added reach of the lens (the 1.5 crop factor).

• Like Like x 1
  8. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you have GOOD Nikon FX lenses, you might consider the Z6 mirrorless (only elec AF lenses) or the D750 or D850 dSLRs (elec and mechanical AF lenses).
    That at least keeps you in the system.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ilina Alexandru

Photos OK to edit
    I really appreciate your answears, thank you.
    So the mirrorless cameras really took over the world :congratulatory:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Tropicalmemories

Tropicalmemories No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Difficult choice. The X-T2 has good discounts, but Sony just announced amazing discounts, so both are now under $1000 new with good deals used - so price is no longer a factor.

I was looking at both a year ago, and went for Fuji - why .....

1. Size and weight of body plus lenses. Fuji total kit weight is significantly lower.

2. Price (then)

3. Handling - Fuji is much more intuitive for anyone old enough to remember using film dslr's and for people who think more like photographers and less like the operator of high tech equipment.

What nearly swayed me to Sony ....

1. High iso performance
    2 More control over depth of field using mid range zoom lenses due to larger sensor.

But in the end I just enjoyed the feel of the Fuji in my hands, I want to take it out and create images, I play with it in bed at night just for the pleasure of trying different settings (no really) - so for me as an amateur who takes photos for myself, the Fuji won out.

And if I need thin dof, I use one of Fuji's excellent primes.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Mirrorless is likely the future, but it isn't there yet.
    Sony, Fuji, Olympus and others are there, with only mirrorless cameras, and well past the first generation.
    But for fast sports, my Olympus EM1 does NOT work as well as my Nikon D7200, so I still use the D7200 for fast sports.
    I do not know how the other mirrorless do for fast sports, maybe better, maybe worse.​
    Canon and Nikon are only on their first generation of mirrorless cameras, and you can be certain that more and better is coming from them.

Price aside, I would think really hard about the selection. Because a year after you buy, you will forget the price savings, and be thinking about the camera/lens every time you use it.

@Tropicalmemories made a good point. How the camera feels in your hand does make a difference, to some of us. And how easy is it to work the various controls.
    Example1. Olympus in their retro design, put the power switch on the left deck. IMHO that was a DUMB move, just to copy the location of the power switch on the original OM1. Because that makes the power switch more difficult to use, to the point that I usually turn it on and leave it on. Nikon and Canon dSLRs have the power switch around the shutter button, which is infinitely easier and faster to use. Is the position of the switch on the Olympus a deal killer, no, but added to other things and it might be another nail.

Example2. Having used a dSLR with 2 control dials, I find it clumsy to use a dSLR with only ONE control dial. I use both dials (shutter speed + aperture, or aperture + EC), so just having only one becomes an operational issue, for me. So to me only having one control dial is a much bigger issue than the location of the power switch (which is just an irritation). Can I live with one dial, yes, but I won't like it.

Example3. Hold the camera and work the zoom. Which way does the zoom ring turn, relative to your Nikon? If it turns in the opposite direction, be prepared to spend a long time retraining your muscles. Casual photography is not as reaction critical as sports/action photography, and if you turn the zoom the wrong way, so what. Still until your hand gets used to which way to turn the zoom, it can be an irritation. If you shoot only primes, this is not an issue.

Example4. How does the camera feel in YOUR hands? Depending on YOUR hand, some cameras may not feel comfortable or easy to use. Someone with BIG hands/fingers may have trouble using a small mirrorless or dSLR where the control are packed tight or some left out due to lack of space, and someone with small hands may have trouble with the big dSLRs or lenses. I do not have big hands, and I find some of the controls on the Olympus EM10 tricky/difficult to use because of how tightly things are packed on that small camera.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit

Not really accurate....this is the first generation of FULL-FRAME mirrorless for both companies, but Canon introduced the M-series a few years ago, and Nikon offered the 1-series...

The 1-series Nikons offered very fast, good focusing. Canon's M-series was not FULLY offered for sale in North America.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1