Frozen soap bubbles (year 3)

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I sometimes only get one attempt at these each winter because the temperatures have to be below 18°F and there can’t be any noticeable breeze at all. It doesn’t always work out for me that I have time to go out and shoot when we have those conditions. Trying really hard each time to learn from past mistakes and improve. Here are a few favorites. These were taken with the Lensbaby Velvet 56 most at f/4-5.6. Constructive criticism and comments welcome!

Frozen soap bubbles- the only good thing about single digit temps! by SharonCat..., on Flickr

more soap bubbles by SharonCat..., on Flickr

Amazing images!

Indian meets alien in #1. Very cool imagery.

Some fun effects there.

That is some cool stuff there. I especially like the last one.

Very nice, I like how the shapes and textures of feathers and leaves are formed.

Awesome shot, it doesn't get cold enough here to do that.

I think the lighting in #1 is awesome, especially that reflected bright spot near the top. I also like #4 with the berries.

Wow so fine in detail very well shot

Thanks!

That is some cool stuff there. I especially like the last one.

Thank you!

Very nice, I like how the shapes and textures of feathers and leaves are formed.

Thanks! Yes I love how the frost looks like leaves and feathers. If I get another chance at this I’m going to video it freezing, it’s really cool to watch.

Awesome shot, it doesn't get cold enough here to do that.

Where are you? I’m in the Boston area. We get one or two days every winter but the “no breeze” requirement is usually what ruins it.

I think the lighting in #1 is awesome, especially that reflected bright spot near the top. I also like #4 with the berries.

Thanks - that light is actually the sun. These were taken about 10am yesterday. I edited that first one to bring the background way down to better show the ice patterns.

More to come. I gave this project another try last night with my Christmas lights as background. Yes they’re still up lol - I’m pretending it’s to make the pandemic winter sequel more cheerful but it’s really just lack of energy for chores on my part.

I am in PA which this winter we are calling the windy city, no chance for me here seems the wind never stops.

Nicely done. Like these better than the second set.

Been meaning to try this. Certainly have the weather for it. Not much to shoot in the winter. Even the birds know enough to fly south. Lol.

Nicely done. Like these better than the second set.

Been meaning to try this. Certainly have the weather for it. Not much to shoot in the winter. Even the birds know enough to fly south. Lol.

Give it a try. I’ve found a solution of 2 parts water plus 1 part corn syrup and 1 part dish soap works well. Game changer this year was building a bubble blower out of a bottle and straw. Really helpful and using the cold air to create the bubbles instead of warm air from your lungs makes them less likely to pop. Here a pic of the high tech creation.

987F2552-1749-42EB-86B8-CC1161FB4812.jpeg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back