FTPing images from remote areas

pcruciatti

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can share their experiences for filing and sending images via FTP from remote areas, where internet is not available.

I will be travelling soon to remote villages in Burkina Faso and need to send pictures in (almost) real time.

Any suggestion? What should I bring with me?

Thanks in advance

Piero
www.pierocruciatti.com

If the Internet isn't available, how do you plan to FTP anything? Assuming you mean broadband wireless/wired Internet access, there are only two options available as far as I am aware. (1) Satellite access, however if you're in a truly remote area, chances are you won't be in a satellite footprint, so that's out; or (2) Sat-phone, such as the Iridium network. That will do the job, but it will be EXPENSIVE (as least it was the last time I had anything to do with it, which is admittedly, almost ten years ago), and possibly not very fast. I seem to recall that at that time, the best connection was around 256Kbps.

Hi Tirediron,

thanks for your quick reply.
Yes, I was indeed meaning sat-phones. I was wondering if anyone had any field experience from that region. I've read about Iridium but I know that there are other providers as well (Thuraya, Bgan etc...)

Thanks
Piero

My only experience has been with Iridium, and around the Horn; Eritrea, Djibouti, Somalia, but AFAIK, as long as you can see a decent patch of sky, you'll have access. I would try contacting a company that does package tours in the area, chances are they all use a sat-phone of some sort.

Satphone or some kind of satelite network. Doable if you got the $$$$$. Of course likely cheaper to just hire a courier to go upload them at the nearest internet connection.

If the Internet isn't available, how do you plan to FTP anything? Assuming you mean broadband wireless/wired Internet access, there are only two options available as far as I am aware. (1) Satellite access, however if you're in a truly remote area, chances are you won't be in a satellite footprint, so that's out; or (2) Sat-phone, such as the Iridium network. That will do the job, but it will be EXPENSIVE (as least it was the last time I had anything to do with it, which is admittedly, almost ten years ago), and possibly not very fast. I seem to recall that at that time, the best connection was around 256Kbps.

Maybe its that down, but the *up* speed is often in single digits (on a fixed-satellite connection also, its even worse, as only the downlink is via the dish, the uplink is over PTSN) . And they may block ports other than 80, as they like to be able to transparently cache on the edge.

Source: Works for a company dealing with satellite links into s.e. asia.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back