Fuji 800 and the Nikon F3

dubiousone

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I normally use Fuji, 200 mostly because I like the color rendition and the grain is fine for what I use it for. (I remember that 400 was quite a bit grainer 'back in the day as I've been out of film for quite a while)

My new project, which rounds out my film camera collection for now is a Nikon F3. While picking up a pack of 400 I noticed they also have 800. Has anyone used Fuji 800 and what do you think of the grain and color?

I normally use Fuji, 200 mostly because I like the color rendition and the grain is fine for what I use it for. (I remember that 400 was quite a bit grainer 'back in the day as I've been out of film for quite a while)

My new project, which rounds out my film camera collection for now is a Nikon F3. While picking up a pack of 400 I noticed they also have 800. Has anyone used Fuji 800 and what do you think of the grain and color?

It's superb. I shot miles of it with fast lenses for available light settings. Usually rated it between 500-800 with 640(1/3 stop over) being the usual rating. Found its grain/contrast/saturation preferable to Superia 400--a film I never liked. Agree that Superia 200 is nice--it's probably my favorite for consistency and scanability. Just be aware that, despite its baked-in latitude, Superia 800 doesn't like under-exposure. Both films are suprisingly good in mixed lighting, too.

You might also try Kodak Portra 400. Beautiful results and genuinely huge latitude.

I've used a lot of it. It's pretty good. I wish they still made 800Z though - that was nice. Imagine, the 800 ISO version of 160S.

Both films are suprisingly good in mixed lighting, too.

I've found basically all Fuji films to be excellent in mixed lighting. That "4th color layer technology" stuff really does work.

I've used a lot of it. It's pretty good. I wish they still made 800Z though - that was nice. Imagine, the 800 ISO version of 160S.

Always amazed how well this and the earlier NPZ handled situations like gawdawful gym lighting. Both could take 1-2 stop push processing with no real penalties.

Why is it always the best films that get discontinued? NPZ, 800Z, 160S/C, etc - all really GREAT emulsions, and all discontinued.

Excellent film, though I find Portra 800, shot at 640 to be better.

Most reactions

Back