Fuji Iso compared to other brands

mikoh4792

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I heard that Fuji labels there iso numbers higher than what they actually are compared to other brands. For example, if you set iso to 400, then it acts like iso 200 on other cameras. Is this true? If so, what would be the reason for Fuji to do this?

I'd say that is not true. I have a Fuji XE-2 and that is not my experience.

Joe

The International Standards for ISO rating is sorta quirky. This has been spoken of for years. I did a quick and dirty test a year or so ago. Testing two X-Pro1's against a Minolta IV handheld meter, Olympus EM-5, Canon 5D and a Canon 1DsMKII, the X-Pro1 came up .5 to .75 of a stop underexposing when compared to to ALL the other meters. (All the other meters were reading similar exposure values.) I just shrugged, as it really doesn't mean anything other than it reads differently than other meters. If all you're using are Fuji on-board meters ... it means even less.

It's not like film manufacturers weren't likewise optimistic.

I'm a Fujifilm X-E2 user (for about a year now) and while I don't have any empirical evidence it does seem like my images are typically a little underexposed from what I expect. I'm not even sure if that relates to your ISO issue or not.

But I have to add I LOVE how my X-E2 gives me high ISO shots with extremely low noise.
(sorry for reviving an old thread but being new here I found this one particularly interesting)

dbailey56 said:
I'm a Fujifilm X-E2 user (for about a year now) and while I don't have any empirical evidence it does seem like my images are typically a little underexposed from what I expect. I'm not even sure if that relates to your ISO issue or not.

But I have to add I LOVE how my X-E2 gives me high ISO shots with extremely low noise.
(sorry for reviving an old thread but being new here I found this one particularly interesting)

The Online Photographer blog site discussed this at some length within the past three months. According to the public discussion and the comments there, your feeling that the images are a bit underexposed from what you expect is shared by many other Fuji users. However, by the same token, these same users are extremely happy about the way their Fuji images look! As far as deliberate, willful, manufacturer's mis-labelling of ISO settings--that is extremely common! Look at the DxO Mark lab test charts, and you will see that the marked ISO values and the actual, tested ISO values on almost all d-slr cameras are not in strict accordance, often being 1/3 or 1/2 of an EV "off". And even though these ISO values are "off", the sun still rises and sets daily, unaware that somewhere, there are lost ISO values desperately searching for their ancestral homes.

Very interesting article Derrel, thanks for taking the time to find it. I'll stay on the bandwagon that whatever it is Fujifilm is doing, I sure love the look that comes from my X-E2.

I'm working on developing a Kickstarter project to help those lost ISO's find their ancestral homes (totally lost it laughing when I read your post).

I've owned the Fuji S1 Pro, S2 Pro, and S5 Pro d-slr cameras...Fuji has always had a very good "look and feel" to their digital images. I know that the folks who frequent The Online Photographer site have positive feelings toward their X-series cameras, and there is an especially loyal segment that feels the X-Trans sensor Fuji's create RAW files that convert to black and white better than do the files from Bayer sensor cameras. Fuji has exhibited wonderful customer responsiveness with its firmware updates, and its refinement in each model of its X-series cameras. I hope they continue to develop their products for many years.

Glad to hear you're gonna be taking up the cause of the lost ISO's!

Saw an iso 200 and iso 6400 identical photo print at a gear exhibition, taken at night from an x-pro 1 when it came out. Photos were 12x8. I really had to study both before I could tell which was the 6400, both looked great.

I've heard this before. Fuji seem to have the best hi iso results, but sites such as dxo find them hard to test a standard way.

As said, many happy Fuji customers, many great photos, so does the nitty gritty matter?

While I don't complain about High ISO performance (I usually shot at night at 6400 ISO and never had noise problem...but I shoot almost only B/W), I have to say that (on the opposite of what I read here) the meter in the auto or semi-auto modes gives me often overexposed images. Not a big problem, I see them in the evf and quickly adjust the EV compensation command. But it I leave it on zero I obtain images brighter than what I want.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back